• In the Spotlight:

why invite someone ive met once? OMG advice please

my mom and 2 sisters r throwing my shower.
my SOs mom just called me telling me i have to invite my SO's cousins wife. no big deal right? well thats fine and all if i KNOW HER....
ive literally met her ONCE and all we said was hi nice to meet you.. NEVER had a conversation EVERRR!!!
we already sent out the invites, we have no more and his mom says you need to send her one and have my son call me when he gets home.
he calls her and she tells him how rude it is we didnt invite her and that we better invite her.

i think its rude to invite her invite someone ive met ONCE? it makes it seem like all i want is a gift.

i dont even know what this girl looks like i met her like almost a year ago i cant even put a face on her.
so my mo will hav to buy a whole new pack of invites because of this...
what should i do? im not even te one DOING the shower.. my mom & sisters are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i even told my SO who they sent out invites to on his side of the family to make sure i didnt leave anyone out and he said thats fine who we invited.

ps i am 'not allowed' to invite his step mom who i have a better relationship with than this girl ive met once because his mom doesnt like his step mom... UGh im just annoyed i hate drama like this....

what should i do? what would you do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. Most of the people at my shower I didn't even know. They were all my boyfriends family, that i met only a few times. I think you should just invite her, but that you don't really need to go get a new pack of invites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you hate drama like this than why make a big deal out of it just invite her or don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• because i think its really cheasy and RUDE to invite someone you dont know.
    just for what gifts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Better to learn it now than never - it's not always about you.

Yes, it's your baby shower. But it's also a celebration of your family - both sides. Including your SO's cousin's wife. If it's important to your SO's mother - grin and bear it.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• well i think i will just tell them that im inviting his step mom because its important to me then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Let your "MIL" invite her. It's really not worth the drama. This lady may well not show up anyway.

OR...let "MIL" throw a shower of her own and invite whomever she pleases. There's no rule saying you can only have one.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well, there you go.

Back to being all about you.

Why would you think SO's stepmother would want to be at a party with people that don't like her? Why would you deliberately antagonize your child's paternal grandmother?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• For one YOUR mom and sister are throwing the baby shower..if his mom is going to be all butt hurt about it tell her to take her own time energy and money and throw you a seperate baby shower and she can invite who ever the hell she wants.. as for the lady saying all about her!! it's here baby shower...and if she has a better relationship with the stepmom.by all means invite her..and if his mom doesn't like it she doesn't have to come that's why there's a little RSVP thing at the bottom of the invitation....hell at my baby shower..i invited my mom and my bio dad's new wife!! my mom hasn't seen my real dad in 22 years my mom hates him! needless to say i asked my mom about inviting my step mom and all she said was it's YOUR baby shower invite who ever the hell you want!!
    huny good luck..and do what you feel is right...this woman isn't throwing the shower there for she should have no say in who's invited!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• At MY baby shower, everyone who meant something to me was there. Regardless if they got along or not.

It was at my Grandpa's house (his wife threw it).
    My Grandma came (they have been divorced for 22 years, and grandpa's wife and her hate eachother)
    My Step mom came - and NO ONE in my family likes her.
    My mom came - Her and my step mom hate eachother.

They all came, and they were all civil, because I wanted them to be there to share this with me, and they wanted to show their love and support. It was not awkward at all, they all understood how devastating it would be if any of them caused problems.

I think you should have who you want there, including your SO's step mom. Your SO's mom needs to just shut her trap and realize that it is not about her and who she wants there...this is for YOU.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:36 AM on Jan. 19, 2009