My daughter woke up and saw part of a scary movie...

Ok so we have Dish Network, and we have the dual DVR which means my tv and my daughter's tv are both on the same satellite box. Our DVR will record on both our tv and hers, and once it finishes recording it stays on whatever channel it was last on. So my daughter went to bed and was watching a cartoon on the DVR. But when the cartoon went off, the satellite was tuned to SHOWTIME, since we had recorded a movie earlier. But Saw III was on, and she happened to see a horribly scary gory part. She freaked. She's 4. This just happened tonight of course. So now she wouldn't go to sleep without her TV on a cartoon, and she's terrified that she is going to have bad dreams! What would you do in this situation? I've already set the DVR to not record on any of the premium channels on her tv anymore.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It happens to almost every kid, myself included. I walked in on Cujo once. And another time, walked in on the exorcist...and it was one of the more disgusting scenes. I had bad dreams from cujo for about a week, but since I"d been raised around 2 very sweet (though very energetic) dogs, I got over it quick. Try and explain the different between real and fake...she may or may not get it at her age. SHe may also forget about it within a week or so. It happens to us all!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Poor baby! I am sure it was scary for her. I don't know what to tell you unless you go in there and just sit with her until she goes to sleep. Read her a book to get her mind off it.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 3:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Unless you want to keep that TV on all the time you have to be firm now. Turn off the TV before bed no matter what. Don't remind her of it and when she talks about it just remind her that that movie wasn't real. Talk about the difference between reality and make believe. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• She doesn't watch TV every night. She went to lay down early last night because she was tired but not sleepy, and she wanted to watch a show til bedtime. I turned on Tom and Jerry for her to watch and it went off and of course the movie popped up since that's what the channel was set on. She seems to be over it now thank goodness. She did wake up a few times last night but seems to have forgotten about it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009