Re lactating

My LO is almost 10 weeks old. I was never able to BF but I pumped and gave it to him in a bottle. I didnt have an electric pump and had to use a manual one. Needless to say I gave up after 2-3 weeks. Well I am in the process of re-lactating to try and BF again (he has a sensitivity to formula). And my son never did latch on from birth. Well I tried again yesterday to get him to latch on and he just wont do it. Any tips or tricks I can try?

amygirl23

Asked by amygirl23 at 3:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you got milk? The only thing I would be able to suggest is pump and be persistant. If you don't have milk I don't know if you can get it to start up again.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 3:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• To try to get him to take the breast, tickle his cheeks and get him to open his mouth really wide. When he does pull his head close to the breast and get as much of the nipple and areola as he can in his mouth. Sometimes, even with my almost 3 wk old, I have to do this about 3 or 4 times before she decides to latch on. Also, you can take your nipple and rub it on his bottom lip, and he should open his mouth that way as well. Oh, express a bit of milk before-hand, and rub it on your nipple, so that it smells like milk (since he is not used to the breast yet). Um...I can't remember what else they taught me at the hospital, but if you have any questions, you can PM me and I'll try to help you out! GL!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• a simulate nursing system(SNS) will come in very handy.
    you can purchase one through llli.org or just google it and find a retailer. i would also contact your local la leche league as a leader there would be able to help you a little more personally with relactation.
    general info on relactation:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You can get a nipple shield, it makes your breast the same shape as a bottle nipple and most likely make it more probable that your baby will latch on. You should look into some relactation and breastfeeding groups here on cafemom, you could probably get some MUCH better information there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2009