Does my 3 month old not want to breastfeed anymore?

My little guy just started crying lately while breastfeeding. I started pumping but can't seem to pump enough or fast enough to help out his need for a bottle. I guess it all started when we went for an outing and I had a bottle of breast milk that he slurped down in 10 minutes and was as happy as can be. Now he wants a bottle all the time it seems. I've now had to give him 2 bottles of formula a day when he gets really cranky and cries for 30 minutes +. Does this mean he doesn't want to breastfeed anymore? Also it seems I can only pump out 1oz at a time so it takes all day to have a 4 oz bottle.
Please give me all the advice you can. I would really like to keep breastfeeding for at least a year. He turns 4 months the end of this month. Please HELP!!

dannybugg

Asked by dannybugg at 6:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well don't panic and dont feel like you HAVE to breastfeed if it isnt working for you. thats your right. If you are able to EBF then great try because it isnt easy. try to hold him in a different position maybe he will do better. Also alot of times, if you give a baby formula they want that because it is thicker and easier for them to gulp it down. easier for parents as well. But if you are wanting to EBF then i suggest you dont do the bottle anymore keep trying to feed or your milk supply will go away good luck
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 6:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I think the seal on your breast pump is leaking. I've tried pumping with a pump like that before and thought I must be completely dry. Check all over it and consider buying a new one if you can't figure out where it might be letting air in.
    As for your baby, if this has been going on for more than a week, then you may have a problem. My babies would do this from time to time, but it rarely lasted more than a week.
    Figure out what you want and make that your goal. If you want to wean, go for it, if not keep trying to make the connection with him.
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 6:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I would just not give up If you can if you stay home I dont know. But just keep trying to give him the breast and dont give him a bottle if you dont have too? I think he will take the breast. dont give him formula because this will only make your milk supply lower try to keep pumping whenever you can and keep ofereing the breast . IF you need to contact a la lech club member. IF u do want to breast feed dont give up it is a great thing to share with your child and it does get easier
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 9:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• What about a nipple shield. It is just like a bottle nipple that goes over your nipple. It might make him think it a bottle. Youre not supposed to use then for long but I had to use mine for months. They are intended for flat or inverted nipples. Hope this helps. Oh and you can get them from babies r us or maybe you ped. and they are cheap.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 9:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Stop the bottles so baby won't have a choice. It sounds like nipple confusion.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008