How can get my 2 1/2 yr old to stop screaming when wants something, or anything

Hi everyone,

I have a 2 1/2 yr old son that screams all the time no matter what it is... We read to him say things to him get him to pronounce it even try face me look at my lips and say it slowly. He can say only few but likes to act it out or babble. I have a 11yr daughter that does help read to him too and we have a 1 yr daughter that is saying things little more than him.... How can i get him to stop screaming all the time and say the things wants..... i HAVE tried everything i can think of to help him out... We point out items all the time to him and he understands when we talk to him like if going to go eat pizza says it and then goes yumm.

If have anymore ideas please share my ears almost rung out LOL
Thanks

MLTYMOMF3

Asked by MLTYMOMF3 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you thought that maybe he is autistic? Have you presented this problem to your pediatrician? Sometimes there is a reason for developmental delays.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would suggest to remain calm when he behaves like this. Let him know he has your attention and tell him that you don't understand what he's saying when he gets upset like that. Ask him to "use your words."
    Good luck. 2's & 3's are a tough age. Stick it out a while longer, and don't worry. Mention it to your pediatrician. I'm sure he'll have some great advice. Best wishes,

good2me

Answer by good2me at 8:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor if he isn't talking about other things thru the day. If this is just when he wants something and can talk then it is behavoir problems but if he doesn't talk at other time you should get it check out right away. It sounds like he isn't talking much at all that could be something wrong get help as soon as possible start with the doctor and ask where you could get other help. I wish the best for you and your little guy.
    stampingdimples

Answer by stampingdimples at 9:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It sounds as though he may have a speech delay, and no matter what the cause, I would ask your dr. to refer you to Early Childhood Intervention or call them directly and they can get the referral from your dr. I would act quickly because they only work with children to age 3 and at that point they are done. The sooner you start, the longer they will have to "catch him up". He could be regressed since your baby is very close in age to him. We recently started working with ECI with our 21 m/o for a speech delay. He scored high on cognitive and understanding and social, etc, just low on expressing himself verbally. Anytime there is a screamer or biter, it's usually because they can't TELL you what they want. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well boys are a little slower than girls when it comes to most skills especially language, and you have to remember that your first child gets all the attention from mom and dad, so they are more quick to pick up on language. When the second baby comes around they have to try and process adult language, and the language of their older (and younger) siblings. My youngest sister barely spoke until she was almost 4 because she had 2 older sisters who gave her whatever she wanted. You have to be persistant with the whole "indoor voice" thing and keep explaining that he needs to use his words - even though it is the most frustrating thing in the world. When all else fails, talk to your ped.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 11:07 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Thanks for all the info He tries to talk but notice slurs with the words.. So he screams or uses motions and sounds.. I am going to make apt though Thanks again :)
    MLTYMOMF3

Answer by MLTYMOMF3 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009