I've been struggling w/my 3 yr old to get him potty trained. He doesn't care if he is wet or dry. Any advice, or tricks?

Potty training troubles

mamamiriam

Asked by mamamiriam at 4:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am in the middle of potty training my 3 1/2 year old and this process has been going on for about a month and a half in ernest. What started to work for me was letting her go naked from the waist down while we were home and letting her have accidents. This helped in two ways: I could better gauge when she may have to use the toilet and she also started to put the urge to potty together with getting soiled. Once I got an idea on when she may need to potty we would practice sitting on the toilet for five minutes on/off until we would have success. I use stickers/small peppermint patties as rewards. Stickers just for practicing and the small candy for success. You kind of have to feel around for what will motivate your son and that can be the most frustrating part. Good luck!
    CGMom73

Answer by CGMom73 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Put underwear on him, take him to the potty as often as possbile. When he has an accident take him in the bath room and tell him bad he needs to peepee in the potty make him change his own clothes more underwear. never a diaper or pull up they are to much like diapers. he will get tired of changing clothes and having peepee run down his legs and eventually catch on.
    Anonymous

• I just answered this in another one but ill redo it for you ;]

We tried EVERYTHING. M&M's HORRIBLE! everytime we were at a store he had a meltdown. Bribing w/ new toys and a sandbox, he could careless. Wiping himself, a mess. Sticker charts, waste of time. Going naked, i think he just enjoyed "being free". What worked for me is to back off and stop asking/pressuring him. He would go pee if i asked him to but only if i asked him to and refused to go poop. He finally came around about 2.5 months ago [hes 3.5 now] and has been accident free since! I just told him whenever your ready just go its easy. One day i was cleaning the kitchen and he ran out of the bathroom screaming 'MOMMY MOMMY I WENT POOP' and its been cake since then!

Good Luck.
    erikays

Answer by erikays at 4:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2008