Work Evaluations Survey PLEASE HELP!

My boss is very super nice but he recently sent out an email to all employees that employee evaluations were going to start. the nite that we got that email we were all stopped at the door to leave work by the manager and handed a packet that we had to sign for. when i got in my car and started looking it over i realized what it was. our boss had typed a long letter about our evaluations and how our raises would depend on performance and not tenure or experience. well on the pages to follow i noticed "open answer" questions. he wants us to evaluate ourselves before we have our evaluations. one of the questions on this paper is: list five people who are always in the middle of controversy, gossip and who we felt would not willingly help other employees. i feel that as an employee i shouldnt have to answer this question. i dont know if i am over reacting or not? what do you think?

sm_2184

Asked by sm_2184 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• It sounds to me like their cleaning house. If you want to keep your job you best answer the best you can. This economy is pretty bad and businesses are facing paying higher taxes which means many business owners are looking to prune jobs they dont need. I have friends who are business owners doing this same thing (only they have another way of knowing who to fire-those responsible for the tax increase lol). In any case sounds like they want to know who the "bad seeds" in the business are. Tell them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• That question may cross the line of being illegal. I would consult the state labor board before I answered that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It depends on the company regarding legality. If its privately owned they may be within their rights. If its one that sells stocks there could be some legal issues.

Answer by gemgem at 9:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My boss makes us evaluate each other, in addition to evaluating ourselves and her evaluation. It's really hard... no one wants to be responsible for someone else's raise. They probably want some input from people who actually see what is going on. I don't know about the legality like everyone else is talking about, but I wouldn't feel comfortable answering a question like that and would probably let them know that I wasn't comfortable with it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I Personally Would Find It Hard To Answer That Question. I Also Would Contact The Labor Board To Find Out If It Is Illegal If Not I Guess I Would Have To Answer It Because Like One Person Said Already Sounds Like They Are Cleaning House.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 8:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009