• In the Spotlight:

how much sleep is enough

my greatgranddaughter lives with me..she wakes up 3..4..times a night sometimes screaming, sometimes getting up ready to play..she is now 12 momths old..she might take a nap during the day, but she only sleeps maybe 2 hours or less during day. when she does close her eyes, she will start either fussing or crying like she is afraid to go to sleep. i dont know what is wrong, but i know there is something not right. she will fight sleep all day long. lay her down and she will scream and scream till she makes herself sick. some say let her cry she will give up, but believe me, she does not give up. letting her cry just does not work. i am a greatgrandmother i have raised children all my life seems like, and this one has be bewildered..if anyone has a precious little one, like this one, let me hear from u....oh by the way she is a little girl. thanks alot...

peaches321

Asked by peaches321 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing I can think of is that she is TOO tired to go to sleep. If she isn't getting a nap through the day, this could be the case. Try to start getting her a nap, even if you have to hold her and rock her to sleep. Last night my baby (who is only 2 1/2 wks old, so don't know if this applies) stayed up for almost 9 hrs because she was fighting off sleep, and even when she did fall asleep for a few minutes, my 2 yr old sis in law would start screaming and wake her up. By the time I could get it quiet enough to get her to sleep, she would wake up screaming like something was hurting her, but she was just too tired and very cranky.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:18 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son who is only 6 months is the same way..at times i have to have my mom recline back in a chair and she has him lay on her..on his stomach with his head on her shoulders. and she pats his butt and sings "you are my sunshine" to him...it usually takes a little till he stops fussing but he goes to sleep
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009