How in the world can I get my 4 year old to poop in the toilet!?

I've tried EVERYTHING. I've googled it and everything that everyone else has tried with their children, I've tried also! I just cannot figure it out. My son likes Thomas trains, the wooden ones. Those are EXTREMELY expensive! I'm not a big money-maker at all but I've taken it as far as to drive my son a half an hour away for a $30 train under the guidelines that he poops in the toilet OR the potty. HE JUST WON'T DO IT!!!!!!

MommyMaddi

Asked by MommyMaddi at 9:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is he still wearing Pull-Ups? If so, get rid of them!! He needs to be in regular underwear now, even if that means you throw a few pairs in the trash after he poops in them =)
    What I would do, is make him clean himself up and get his clothes changed after his "accident".... It will be messy, so get ready for a bathroom disaster, but he will HATE it!! ~~ You are having a battle of the wills right now, and until he decides that he will use the toilet, you cannot make him. But, you can make it misserable enough for him that he wants to..LOL!!! ~~ If he wants to be in charge of his using, or not using, the toilet --- then he can be in charge of the consequences, including the clean up.
    I also had a friend that put her son in a cold (not freezing, just cold) shower to wash him after he pooped, and he never did it again~~ Good Luck!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 10:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER HAD JUST TURNED FOUR WHEN SHE FINALLY STARTED GOING TO THE POTTY ALL THE TIME. I TRIED BUYING HER ALL KINDS OF STUFF WHEN SHE DID DO IT OCCASIONALLY, BUT IT NEVER WORKED. I FINALLY GOT A POSTER BOARD, MADE IT UP WITH THE DAYS OF THE WEEK, LET HER DECORATE IT AND WHEN SHE WOULD GO, SHE GOT TO PUT A STAR ON HER CHART. IT MADE HER FEEL BIG AND IN CONTROL TO BE ABLE TO DETERMINE IF SHE GOT A STAR FOR THE DAY OR NOT. EVENTUALLY, SHE WANTED TO HAVE THE CHART FULL OF STARS BECAUSE SHE KNEW IF SHE DID SHE GOT A BIG SUPRISE AT THE END! THAT HELPED IN THE SENSE THAT IT MADE HER BE CONSISTENT IN GOING ON THE POTTY EVERY DAY AND SHE WAS NOT REWARDED UNTIL IT WAS ALL COMPLETE.
    LACEY0905

Answer by LACEY0905 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009