What is a good way to set computer time for ds?

My ds is 13. He has started playing runescape on the computer and has real friends that he meets in there and they play together. they are calling him all the time and he's asking to get on all the time and he's getting an attitude and it's getting old fast. When he gets to play I set a time etc but..........somthings not working. well i have a week to come up with a plan cause last night he got grouned off it for a week. what do or would you do? i'm thinking 1 hr on mon, tue, fri and a little more on sat. but then i have to be specific as to after supper and chores etc........any suggestions would be appreciated!

mamakat12

Asked by mamakat12 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I bought my kids their own computers at 13.

Answer by gemgem at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My children also have their own computer, we do have time limits though. They are not allowed to play video games until their homework is done and their choirs are done. We usually do not let them play after dinner during the week because we have things going on.

Usually they come home from school and as long as their homework is done they are allowed to play until supper time. On the weekends it really depends on what we have going on.

You could also get an egg timer. I used to do this when we needed to share. Set it for the amount of time he is allowed to play and then when it goes off he has to stop.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i have a real problem with my stepson and this. his attitude is aweful and i know it is because of video games. i set limits.. he is 16, but can only have 3 hours on school days. he has a chore chart, agenda check everyday. i know this is a little much for you, but if you don't make gaming limits now, it gets to be a problem. he started on runescape and a few others, once he played WOW it was a downhill slope. these games are causing addictions in our kids. and having real life friends playing the games is often looked at like a substitute for real conversation. its tough. set your boundaries and keep them. take the gametime away when they are disrespectful. or whatever reason there is punishment necesary
    treefroggreen

Answer by treefroggreen at 1:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• sounds good.. and if he mouths off, no computer rest of the day, get off now, and good behavior can earn another hour or so..
    TalaziaMae

Answer by TalaziaMae at 8:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Certain computers and programs have systems set up so you can limit the amount of time AND the specific hours your kids are on it. It can be done through routers too (although we tried with our Verizon one and it didn't work, so don't depend on a Verizon one if that's what you have.) Talk to some tech savvy adult to help you set it up.
    Anonymous

• My kids earn computer time. They have to get homework and chores done and then they get x amount of time for computer and tv. How they use it is up to them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My kids' pediatrician always asks about "screen time" (computer, tv, games, handhelds - they all kill pysical activity and social skill building). If you and your son can agree to a reasonable number of hours per day or week, letting him be involved in the decision and understanding that "play" comes after "work" is best. Then... I use a wireless router (made by Linksys, bought at Best Buy, awesome tech support at Linksys by phone). It is hooked up to my computer and the kids' computers have antenaes to pick up the signal. When I'm really annoyed, I turn off the router. I can then truthfully say, "the internet is down". They've figured it out now, but it worked for long enough for me to A) get my point across and B) talk to them repeatedly about setting better priorities.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 10:53 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• get him a cell phone and his own computer and let him do what he wants as long as he's outta ur hair thats all you can ask for
    Anonymous