Moms in school...

I'm past my due date and I will be getting induced on Friday if I don't have my baby before then. My question is for moms who have had babies mid semester. How did you work it out? How much time did you have to miss? How did you work it out with your instructors? How flexible were they about accepting your assignments?

I didn't know where to put this question since its about education and it isn't really a pregnancy question.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It depends on your school. I go to UOP and they have a no tolerance policy. That means it doesnt matter if youre dying in the hosp you have to do your work and turn it in. They figure in your case for instance you knew you were pregnant and could have skipped that class. My friend just went through it. The reason they do it is because of financial aid and pell grants. The govt and lending companies have policies regarding attendance. I would call and see what they say. If you dont attend, they dont get paid. You should be able to have the baby and if its online school still work from the computer and do work. If its in person I dont know.

Answer by gemgem at 10:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I had my son mid way though a graduate course. Luckily, we had a semester break and then I missed one class. Since class was once a week and James was my 2nd child, I was fine to go to my class once a week for 3 hours. It was like a break. I'd talk to your teacher and see if you can't get anything turned in before Friday. They should be pretty understanding, but don't expect to take 6 weeks off. I'd email and call them today. Check you syllabus about your attendance policy too. You can do it. Just don't get overwhelmed now.  One more thing, see if you can turn in your assignments via email too.  So if you miss 2 weeks, your work is still on time.  Get notes and things from a classmate too.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I've heard a lot of people allowed to due assigments via internet... they send the assigment and you send it back by the due date.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2009