Leaving Baby Alone For 10 Minutes

Do you think that it is wrong to leave a baby alone for 10 minutes? For example, I live in an apartment complex where our laundry room is across the parking lot from my apartment. I have a 9 month old and it snowed just recently. I think it would be a pain to put her coat on and her stroller ready and stroll her across the way and do this for EVERY single load of laundry. Do you think that with certain exceptions it is ok to leave her alone for a couple minutes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not since you are leaving the apartment and won't even be able to hear her. Running to the bathroom or something would be a little more acceptable, but not running across the street. Part of having a baby is it taking 20 minutes just to get ready to leave the house - sorry!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Leave the building? No. What if you slipped on the ice in the parking lot and hit your head. No one would know your baby was home alone. It's a pain, but take her with you, PLEASE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Leaving her alone in one room while you're in another is one thing.

Leaving her alone while you leave the apartment, walk across the parking lot to a different building, change loads of laundry and then return is something totally different.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Better hope your neighbors don't call CPS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't. You don't know what can happen in that ten minutes. Personally, I would rather go through the pain of putting her coat on and getting her in the stroller than to have something happen in that ten minutes I was gone without her.

Anonymous

• across the parking lot no i wouldnt leave her i could see if you were going in the hallway or something but no
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I agree with kboney - leaving the house is too much of a risk.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:01 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• absolutely not that is so much of a risk and child endangerment
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• no i wouldnt its too much of a risk anything could happen in 10 min its better to take her with you than risk something happening. i know its a pain because i had to do the same but better safe than sorry
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Do you have any neighbors that are close by that wouldn't mind watching her for 10 minutes while you switch loads? I used to have next door neighbors that would either drop their daughter off for a few minutes or the baby monitor (if she was sleeping). I didn't mind at all. I know it is a pain to put all those clothes on for a ten minute outing...but it is really too dangerous for you to leave the building with your baby alone in the apartment.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2009