What should i do if my daughter has been potty trained ofr 5 months and all of a sudden pooping on her floor and in her pants?

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old, she's been potty trained ofr 5 months and just this week she's pooped in her pants and / or on her floor 5 times. i can't figure out why she would all of a sudden not be going in the potty anymore. The few times she did go in potty this week me made it a big deal and gave her treats and just after that she went in her pants again. What should i do?

MrsBrown6506

Asked by MrsBrown6506 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that's normal, my son actually crapped in his sissy's room and outside over the weekend, but I'm not thinking this is long term.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Has anything traumatic happened lately? We recently moved and my 3yo has started wetting herself because she's scared of the new place and refuses to go potty until the last minute. You can't be harsh, but you do have to remind her where poo-poo and pee goes. I'm sure it's just a small phase. We went through a period where I felt like I was re-training her again. 

monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 11:11 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Two steps forward, one step back. Complete potty training can take several years and accidents are common during those years. Why?
    Sometimes it can be something scary or traumatic as monroesmum says.
    Sometimes it can be that she is simply working really hard to learn something else so a large part of her "brain power" is diverted all day long.

Just keep things low key, have her help clean up becuase she is big enough to help take responsibility for cleaning up (not as punishment), and don't hesitate to take her at regular intervals for a while.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• yeah I agree with the previous posts, its normal but just in case, sometimes its a sign of something different in the child's life. My son was potty trained too and for some reason my hubby caught him red handed peeing in the playroom right there in the corner!!! OMG he had no reason for it other than he wanted to do it, ughh. Just keep reminding her to go potty and where to go potty.
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 12:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Has there been any changes in her life lately? A recent move, a new baby? When we were potty training my oldest we moved shortly after he was completely potty trained. The move set him back and he was having accidents again. I talked to my ped. about it and he said it is normal for a child to take a step back if there has been a disruption in there routine.
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 1:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009