Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adoption question... Do I need an attorney?

My nephew is having a child with his 15 year old girl friend. They have decided to adopt the child to someone in the family. It seems that we may very likely be adopting my great niece/nephew here in the next little bit (she's seven months along). I realize that this is going to be a huge challenge for a million reasons but my question is... has anyone been through this? Do I need an attorney (I imagine we do to make sure the documents are iron clad incase my nephew decides he wants custody 10 years down the road or something) but what kind of lawyer? Is it insanely expensive? *sigh* I'm so nervous, and worried, and (as bad as it may sound) EXCITED. Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Answer Question

Asked by ashleyaction at 9:13 AM on Feb. 22, 2012 in Adoption

Level 16 (2,543 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would get an attorney to make sure everyone's rights are protected. There are adoption attorneys. I don't know how much it would be but since you already have some type of agreement it may not be as much as if you were starting from scratch.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 9:35 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • I would get one just to cover your _ss.

    Answer by robinkane at 9:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • I would want to have an attorney. Some friends of ours were just asked by their daughter to come get her baby in another state. Before they left home, they had an attorney draw up guardianship papers to take with them and have the daughter to sign. You just need to cover yourself every way you can and the safest way to do that is through an attorney. You might even call your county attorney's office or your public defender's office and see if they can give you the help you need.

    Answer by NannyB. at 9:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • Why can't you just offer the young mother and father guardianship or family support? Why do you have to adopt thier baby?

    Answer by vampporcupine at 6:26 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • First off, YES!!! Secondly, it doesn't have to be that expensive. My husband and I live in southern California and we found a wonderful family law practice that charges on a prorated schedule. Our entire legal bill (not including home study or ASP) was only $1700 and we make a good living. Good luck. The rollercoaster is just about to get good.

    Answer by mom2baq at 3:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2012

  • Okay I actually did this. I would run to an attorneys office. Absolutely do not do this without an attorney. In my case my niece finished college and 10 years later is a marketing director and she thought she would call me up and ask to take my daughter back at age 13!!
    Thankfully we had an attorney so when things became difficult we had the law on our side. You have to remember that this is an emotionally charged situation. In my case I think my niece realized that the time for excuses that seemed plausible to a child -ie why I gave you up - was running out. We have resolved our issues. My daughter will be told at age 18 that my niece is her birth mother - she has known she was adopted since she was a baby.

    Answer by booklover545 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.