How do I get the back of the wallpaper off the wall?

wallpaper problems?

Mumjen2

Asked by Mumjen2 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Been there! Every room in my house had wallpaper when I moved in... every room had a different pink and gray floral paper! Yuck! From the way you phrased the question, I assume you were able to get the vinyl front off the wall but still have the paper backing stuck to the wall.
    If so, get it wet. Let the water sit for 10 minutes and then peel it off. Some of my areas came off in sheets, some in tiny shreds.
    I used a garden sprayer to apply the water. You can get them at any hardware store. Normally you mix weed or bug killer in them and the smallest ones cost about $10. It's much easier than a hand spray bottle and far less messy than trying to use a hose inside.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You can also use a large sponge to saturate it and peel as you go. That way your walls aren't sitting wet while you're working on another area.
    KlieneMutter

Answer by KlieneMutter at 6:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• if the water trick doesn't work for you or doesn't work well enough, try 'dif'. it comes in a spray bottle, is relatively inexpensive, works very well, and you can buy it at walmart, which means, of course, that you can find it even at 3 a.m., if the mood strikes you. hopefully, you don't have but one layer of wallpaper to remove. that gets a bit more difficult.
    1hpygrl

Answer by 1hpygrl at 9:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• All you need is a spray bottle, hot water, and dish soap....mix and start spraying. After is sits a few mins start scraping with a putty knife while its still wet. If it dries you have to wet it again. Just make sure you peel the vinyl part off first!!! Have fun... been there done that...but it looks great now!!!
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 9:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I used a steamer that I rented from a rental store that has steam cleaners and such.
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 1:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I just did my bathroom that had a border that I wanted to take down. I called my sister inlaw and she told me to get a spray bottle with warm water and spray as you go. IT WORKS VERY WELL.
    busyasabee

Answer by busyasabee at 8:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• Saturate it with water . . . let it soak in for a few minutes . . . use a putty knife to scrape off the backing.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 24, 2008