Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What will the hospital do ?

I hurt my lower back really bad Saturday night. I haven't been able to move right ever since. Sitting too long or standing too long is the worse. I have 3 daughters , one being only 6 months old. I can't even pick her up. Is there any good in going to the hospital? What will they do for me that I cannot do at home? My husband thinks I should go ...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

Answers (7)
  • go to the hospital because you could have done something might even need a back brace but better to get an x-ray to know what you did because you could have done something serious. don't just not go when you can't even pick up your child i would rather go and find out whats wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • Yeah you should go. Theyll do xrays and make sure you are ok. Theyll also give you medication to help like flexerell, and advise you to take something like aleve or another nsaid to help with pain. If the pain is very bad they can give pain relievers. Theyll likely have you follow up with someone else to make sure the pain goes away.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • first how did you hurt it, did you fall? That could be worth a trip the hospital! But if you where doing something and put your back out..felt like you lost control and it made you feel like you couldn't move...that's pulling muscles...I did the same thing and it took 2 weeks to get back to normal, but it did feel better little by little. I suggest you lay with a heating pad on your back as much as you can! Not too long at a time though...just for 15 mins on then 15 mins off. I used to work for a physiotherapy clinic and that's what was suggested to me. Also robaxacet (not sure if i spelled that right) is very good for pulled muscles.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • If you fell, definitely see a doctor. I actually crushed a vertebrae in a fall once. But if you hurt yourself lifting something they will probably only give you pain medicine and tell you to rest. Maybe you have an advice nurse phone number you can call?

    Answer by LoveIsCool at 11:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • Well, they can help you get to a point where you are able to function normally... waiting it out isn't always the best option. I bet with two young kids you don't have time to find out how long it will take on its own.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • I am an ICU RN. If you can wait, I would make an appt. with your PCP or request a referral straight to an orthapedist. He/She will be able to test, diagnose, and treat you immediatly.
    A trip to the ER would be a wasted co-pay. If you are walking and able to wiggle your toes an X-Ray will not show the issue; more likely an MRI will. You will not be admitted unless there is a serious injury, just discharged and told to follow-up with you PCP as an out patient. Also, and ER doc is unlikely to right you a script for pain meds as there are to many "drug seekers" out there claiming the same story.

    Answer by novelrn at 7:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • You need to see your PCP and they will schedule you for an MRI. I just had back surgery and it was the best thing I ever done had surgery and was home feeling 100% better. I had a ruptured disc and I hurt so bad.

    Answer by proudmom2x at 8:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.