Okay Ladies. I am currently a teacher and I am not liking how much work I bring home. I am thinking about a career change. Are there any nurses out there that can share their thoughts about being a mom and a nurse? thanks!

I have two young chilren. I have always thought about nursing but never really went for it. I have 3 college degrees now, so getting my RN would not be too difficult for me desides the time needed.

Thanks!!

butterflyrose80

Asked by butterflyrose80 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm not a nurse but my SIL is, and she tells me some really gross stories, like having to dig poo out of people's butts cuz they are constipated, and really nasty gross puss filled ingrown hairs...so if you're not squeamish about that, and/or death, then I say go for it!
    Anonymous

• I have a cousin who's a nurse....twelve hour shifts for three days, off the rest of the week...she seems to have a pretty good deal.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• if you feel you can handle the stress, and how gross the job can be... it depends on what you do in the hospital as a nurse for how you get paid... but there are no holidays off really. Have you looked into writing a book, or doing summer school to help increase your income? Or advancing to a college to teach?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Still not a nurse here! LOL But I work with them. It depends on what kind of nursing job you're getting. If you plan on working in a hospital, you will end up working holidays and long shifts and it will definitely be hard on you as a mom. Working in a doctor's office or something like that without 24 hour care would be a lot better.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• How much work are you bringing home? ~~ In our schools, teachers only work for 6 hours a day, so even if you are working for 2 hours, it's equal to most jobs!!! ~~ Also, don't you have any planning periods, or time when the kids go to recess and lunch to do it??
    When my kids were in Kindergarten, the teacher would get a lot of parents to volunteer to help with cutting projects, and things that were time consuming....can you ask for help?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'm a special Education teacher in an elem school. I do not get any planning. I work from 730-530 everyday and I still bring things home.

I would like to work with children or women in nursing.

I don't gross out easily either.
    butterflyrose80

Answer by butterflyrose80 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you are bothered by the amount of work you are doing you are most certainly in the wrong profession. In nursing you will have to continue your education to stay current on things. You will work odd hours and cases you work will stay in your head. Seems you need to recognize any job you have will have lots of downsides and maybe serving people is not for you. You should do a job you can leave at work and you don't interact with people as much.

Anonymous

• Do it I am a cna and I work in home care it's great.I work four days for 12 hours and I make good money and the families are excellent imagine you will be making triple of what I make.You do it girl.But I am comfortable because I am almost done paying my house and I will rent it out and live off the rent plus what I make .I can't ask for more anayways try to work for homecare and also try to work for a life insurance company and try to do private care.Whe you do private care try to always ask for a letter of recomendation for when the family asks.I had to be interviewed especially when working with whealthly families.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What I am bothered about teaching is the hours and hours of work I have to do after I get off, and I still don't get everything done I want to do. I am not saying the nursing by any means is easier...its just different. I like to be busy! But when it is time to go home I want to be able to not bring work home with me to complete.
    butterflyrose80

Answer by butterflyrose80 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009