Im 36 1/2 weeks pregnant and Ive had contractions for 3 days now. I think Im loosing my mucous plug, but Im not sure. How do I tell

I have been having small amounts of a (gonna sound gross) snotty looking discharge with some blood in it. Im not sure if it you loose your plug all at once or if you can loose it a little at a time. I started spotting blood the night before last, and now its in my discharge. And my discharge looks different from what it had.

cowboysgirl88

Asked by cowboysgirl88 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like you're losing your plug. I didn't lose mine....or if I did, I wasn't aware of it. My water broke at 37 weeks and the next thing I knew...I was having a baby. =) How close are your contractions?
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i lost my plug a little at a time. i was really freaked out and ended up calling birthing unit at my hospital and described it to them. if at any time you have an issue that you need an answer to right away, you can call them and they can at least give you a clue. :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You are probably losing your plug. I lost mine all at once (HUGE glob) but I know a lot of women lose it bit by bit.

If you're spotting blood, you should have been to the doctor already...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I lost the whole plug with my first, nothing with my next two. Some people do, though, lose a little at a time. When I lost the whole thing, he was born within 7 hours. But "TiccledBlue" is correct in that if you're spotting blood, you should have already been to the doctor. Get thee to a doctor now, or at least call...
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 12:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would call your obgyn about the beeding/spotting, time your contractions too and let them know how far apart they are...good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 12:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• The snotty stuff would be your mucus plug and the spotting would be bloody show, I think. Sounds like things might be starting for you. I had bloody show about 10 days before I actually went into labor. The few contractions you are feeling are probably starting you to dilate, which is making you lose your plug.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh and yes you can lose your plug a little at a time or all at once... it is different for everyone.
    reflect1light

• It sound like you are. When i lost mine i gave birth to my beautiful baby boy 27 hours later. And yes all 27 hours was full on labor. I had him at exactlly at 37 weeks. I would call your doctor because more in likely you will probablly have your little one within a few days.
    Married12Kevin

Answer by Married12Kevin at 1:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I lost my plug around 36 weeks and I will be 39 weeks tomorrow and I still haven't had this little boy! It does sound like you're losing your plug though..mine came out like yours. Just a little at time. I didn't have bloody show though. I wish labor would start for me!!
    audreybreier

Answer by audreybreier at 3:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009