Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How much does H&R Block charge?

Do they base it on how much you are getting back?
Or how difficult the return is?
If you had them do yours, how much did it cost you?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2012 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Too much. I do my own taxes with turbo tax for much less.

    Answer by gemgem at 10:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • actually, what you need to do is use it is FREE and by free I mean TOTALLY free. I haven't had to pay for doing my taxes in a good while. it walks you through the whole process and is so easy. and that is even with it being direct deposited into my account. They don't charge for anything. If you have a simple return then use them. I would never use H&R block again. They are so expensive. you can also get on the website and they can give you links for other sites that free file. I try and tell everyone about because why give more of your money away when you don't have to.

    Answer by goofygalno1 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • I believe it starts at $189

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • depends on how much tax stuff you have. Not how much you are getting back

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • TOO MUCH. I brought my taxes there one year because I wasn't feeling confident about some extra things I needed to do. I was fine.. actually I think I had to point something out to them. I am considering their second look program, but I'm sure there is alot of fine print. I use TurboTax. I am working on the taxes for myself and my husband who is self-employed and the small business stuff can be a little overwhelming at first, but I think I've got the hang of it. TurboTax will lead you through everything and they have guarantees. If you access it through the IRS site (click on the e-file link and look for TurboTax when you choose yourself) it is free if you qualify. Very cheap if you don't.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • It depends on how many forms they need to fill out for you,, anywhere from $100-$500,, I agree with the others, I have lots of deductions, and lots of forms, and my CPA charges us $200.

    Answer by kimigogo at 12:09 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • I agree that it depends on how many forms you have. If you look at a CPA, sometimes they will do them for a flat rate. I agree with the others though, that you CAN do them yourself fairly easily by following through Taxact or TurboTax.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:21 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • they charge too much for too little work. we pay our tax preparer just a little more and he does a lot more for us, spends more time with us, etc.

    Answer by annanonnymommy at 1:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

  • You can get it done for free if you file the 1040 EZ. Turbo Tax is really good and it's free.

    Answer by m-avi at 9:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.