i have a 3 wk old son who is about 10 1/2 lbs now is 4 oz every 3-4 hours normal?

my son loves to eat and has acid reflex the milder type so i give hime mylicon-he was born almost 9 lbs and loves to eat. sometimes i have a hard time soothing him. he will suck in the pacifier once in a while other than that he wantw to eat all the time. hes spit up only a few times. does any one else have these issues?

ttlady77

Asked by ttlady77 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 3 weeks, mine were taking about 6oz every 2 hours. At 6 weeks, they were taking 8oz every 2 hours.

We only gave pacifiers when they were sleeping, though.

Healthy appetites!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My 1st son was over 9 lbs at birth --- so much that my boobs couldn't keep up with him. I had to nurse him 'til I was just dry, and THEN give him 3-4 oz on top of that. I eventually just had to switch him over completely. He also had reflux.

My 2nd son was 10 lbs at birth. He was taking 5-6oz bottles IN the hospital.

In my experience, babies stop eating when they're full. So, if you don't think he's getting full, add an extra ounce to the bottle. If he finishes it, you know he was still hungry.

And one thing that really helps -- especially with the reflux --- after every ounce or 2, take the bottle away and burp him.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Along with burping after every couple onces, there are formulas, if you are using formula, that are more gentle on the stomach. Enfamil makes a wide range of varieties. But keep in mind if you switch formula do not do it abruptly. When I took my son off Nutramigen I mixed 4 cups of water with 15 scoops Nutramigen and 1 scoop Lipil, thent he next day 14 scoops and 2 scopps lipil. This helps their system adjust, otherwise it shocks them and makes more digestive problems and upset babies. I learned that the hard way. But feed him if he is hungry and track his day with a notebook to watch for changes, etc. That helped us watch and notice things until baby was older and more regular.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009