Early Intervention?

My son is not as developed as other children his age. He only says 2 words regularly, mama and dada. He can crawl, but he can't stand for more than a few seconds, and he can't walk. He can cruise though. He is 14 months old and the doctor is a little worried. We are having an early intervention specialist come to our home for an evaluation. Has anyone been through this before. What should I expect?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes my daughter was very behind she was 11 months and not even crawling or pulling her self up the doc said she just going to get up and start walking one day every child is different i think he will do it when hes ready i wouldn't be worried some kids are behind but they will more than likely get above average soon enough
    MOMMYby3

Answer by MOMMYby3 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Good for you for keeping a close eye on him and getting him the help he might need! Way to go Mom!

As for what to expect, she will probably watch him play and move around, ask you questions and simply talk to you. Be as honest as you can. She isn't judging you, she's simply trying to decide if he is taking his time about things or if he is falling behind.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my son was pretty far behind too. when we started early intervention, they came to my house and asked questions about the pregnacy, birth, and where he is at developmentally. they then will compare things that he does or doesnt do to a chart that will tell them where he is developmentally. They really helped my son and taught me ways to do my own therapy at home.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They will evaluate your son. One mistake that I made was when they asked me questions I was not 100% honest..I was in denial...So be honest with them and yourself, they are there to help you and give you the help your child may need.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I didn't have a problem with that but I am a developmental therapist, I work with a 4 yo boy right now. It's awesome that you're keeping an eye on his development. It could be that he does have a few issues, or simply just taking his sweet time to grow up ;] but either way, this will do nothing but help. Don't let yourself get stressed about it. As another mom said, be 100% honest. She's not going to judge your parenting, she's not critiquing you. My client's parents are very defensive and try to undermine my opinion and make excuses for why they 'can't' do the things I suggest, and it's a real struggle. She's there to help and give you the tools you need to help your LO. She may see red flags you don't and she may be able to put your mind at ease about concerns you have that may actually be non-issues. Good Luck!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I can't say enough good things abour Early Intervention! How they're organized does vary from state to state but for your initial visit you will probably be seen by a social worker, a PT/OT, and maybe even a speech therapist. Through talking to you and through play with your child they will decide if your child qualifies for EI services, and will make a plan with you as far as what services and when. Your EI may even have a playgroup (ours does) and if it does, take advantage of it!
    My twins are 26 mos and haven't needed EI services since 12 mos but we still attend playgroup.
    Best of luck to you!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009