• In the Spotlight:

i have a 14mth old.i also have a 4 year old.the baby is sooo bad, please dont get me wrong i love my kids more than anything in the world but no matter what we tell him he laughes and continues or he has a major melt down. he even learned how to bully his brother who is 4, i know the stage between 1 and 2 is difficult but any suggestions?

jbirchard

Asked by jbirchard at 6:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lots more sleep! Make sure he gets 14 hours of sleep a day. I know that sounds like a lot, but the high maintenance kids require it. Also watch that his diet is natural and not full of processed foods, he could be sensitive to that.
    One last thing. When you tell him "No" or "stop" make sure he sees some sort of physical action involved. Take a step towards him or get up from your chair or walk over to him and bend down to his eye level. Always, always do this for him. He is a special breed. I have one too. ;o)
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 6:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• 14 months is when we started time out- Ayden also laughed whenever we told him no - he was geting ino everything - so I put him in the corner for 1 minute. I get on his level and tell him WHY he is going to be in time out- sometimes he still smiles about it- but I can't let that get to me...The first few times, he would get up- then I just put him back- now I can use Time Out anytime, anywhere- it saved my sanity! Good luck!!
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 8:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Let him know when its time to play and time to quit,be firm and show eye contact
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• The corner doesn't work in our house because my daughter would just walk out of it... so I set up her playpen (she's always hated it) and when she doesn't listen to me I put her in there as a timeout. She is getting better and is listening and throwing less tantrums now. Also, I will take something away from her and tell her she can't have it because she won't listen. You'll be surprised how fast he'll listen when you take something away!
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 2:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2008