Do you put your child to sleep earlier if they take "too short" of a nap?

My son takes long naps. A typical nap can be anywhere from two and a half to three and a half hours (a few times he took one for four hours!), the average nap for him is about three hours and fifteen minutes. That being said, today he took a nap that was a little less than an hour and a half...which is just not normal for him at all. Ever since then he's been fairly cranky. I have a lot of things I need to get done around the house tonight that will be hard with him under my feet, so I'm considering putting him to bed a bit over a half hour early. If your child takes a way shorter than normal nap, do you usually put them to bed earlier?

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 6:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. He still needs the same amount of sleep and the "crankies" is a sign that he's overtired. When this happens to me, I start our bedtime routine 45 minutes early. I keep an eye on her as we go, letting her play a little longer in the tub if she seems OK, speeding things up if she seems tired. I aim to get her in bed at least 30 minutes early but have done early when she's really cranky.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Yes I did put them to bed early if they did not nap well... Now that they are older (6 and 7 years old) they may still go to be a little bit earlier then normal if it was a big day...like yesterday we went swimming.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 6:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Thanks ladies! I ended up putting him to bed early...but now I have a whole new situation. Check out my new question - UGH!
    http://tinyurl.com/milkeverywhere
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2008