New teeth coming in behind baby teeth that aren't loose

My son is 5 years old and has no loose teeth. When I was doing the follow-up brushing of his teeth the other night, I noticed he has a big tooth coming in behind his baby teeth. The teeth that are in front of it are not loose at all. I have a call into his dentist but was wondering whether this was common and what they will do.

other_mother

Asked by other_mother at 5:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2012 in Health

• It's actually pretty common I wouldn't be to worried at all. Chances are since he has one he may have a few others. They might take Xrays to make sure
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 5:45 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

• This happened to my first DD. It happened with her first 5 teeth. They pulled her baby teeth out so her big teeth could grow in properly. She is 9 now and her teeth are perfect!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

• My 7yo has the same issue his dentist said don't worry it's very common
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2012

• I had it happen with my canines. I was 12 when they finally pulled them so that my braces could be put on.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:28 PM on Feb. 22, 2012