When do you start potty train? How do you begin? Thank you!

erlsk

Asked by erlsk at 12:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am a mother of 4 and I didn't start mine until they were showing me signs they were wanting to try. I personally think it is pointless to start until they are at a min. of 3 years old. You should know that when a child drinks something they will urinate with in 15-30 mins after they drink liquids. So, approx. every 15-30 after they drink something get them on the potty and be ready to sit there with them. For me I made them sit on it for atleast 10 minutes. With pooing you should know approx. by the age of three what there poo schedule is and start with putting them on the toilet about 10-15mins before you feel he/she might go.
    Anonymous

• Everyone has a different opinion on this. Mine is wait until your child shows signs of readiness! My dd is 18 months and has no idea what potty ...poop...pee are. So she in my eyes is NO where near ready!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I had a routine with my 3 oldest. By the age of 2 they were potty trained. Sure there were some accidents but not many. What i did was 6 months before their 2nd bday i would introduce them to the potty. Let them get a feel of it. So they wouldn't be scared. Around 3 month to the bday i would start making them sit for a few minutes on the potty when i would go. But only as long as i was in the bathroom. Then around 1 month I would not only take them when i went but I would do it first thing in the morning, after meals, after drinks, during their fav program, in the middle of playtime. And in less than 2 weeks they went on their own.

I have 2yr old that i am being lazy with. So i need to get on the ball. He is beyond ready it is not even funny.
    lvnlifewthboys

Answer by lvnlifewthboys at 1:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• So far the majority of moms in one of my twins groups have had their children trained by age 3.

If your child is staying dry longer, telling you when he/she needs a diaper change, goes to a private spot to have a bm, and can follow direction from you, he/she may be ready.

I gave it a shot with my twins at 20 mos because they seemed ready. They were not. They're 26 mos now and I'm getting ready to give it a go pretty soon here. If it doesn't work, I'll stop and try again in a few months.

My plan: put them in big boy underpants right away, put their potties by the tv, pop in their favorite show, give them lots of drinks, and put them on the potty every 15-30 min. If we can have some successes, I'll bump it up to putting them on the potty first thing in the morning, at regular intervals throughout the day etc.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It starts with introducing the concept. Let them see you and dad (when appropriate) use the potty. Explain what you're doing. "Mommy's going to sit on the potty and go pee-pee. Do you hear it? Now I'm going to wipe, flush and wash my hands!" Just pique their interest, they want to do what big people do. Get a little potty (I found splash guards are difficult for boys, they can bump or scrape themselves trying to get on and off) Just put it in the bathroom and maybe have them sit w/ or w/out pants when you go. Get a few potty training books for kiddo and for you (just like all things parenting, there are a few methods to choose from, you'll find what works for both of you).
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Let them pick out their reward from the store (I prefer stickers or a few pennies in a piggy bank) and maybe a few toys or books designated especially for the bathroom to keep them occupied while they're sitting on the potty) and some thick cotton undies (pull-ups are ok for night and outings but I wouldn't recommend them for at home, they're too much like a diaper). It takes time and patience, cleaning some messes, and ultimately, it's all on their terms. Good luck!
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 2:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009