Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when your husband just wont listion??

My husband has always been a hard working man, a loving man, and a faithfull man, ye he just wont listion to me when I try to talk to him about something that is really improtant to me. Its his drinking, he becomes a diffrent person when he drinks. My mother was an alcholic and it killed her. Its so hard for me to someone I love do the same thing. When I see him drinking I almost feel no love for him, but when hes not I love him more then anything in the world. Hes a great man, I don't know what to do. He gets so mad at me when I bring it up, I'm scared to even talk to him about it know. can anyone help me, give me advice on how to approch him about it without making him mad or upset??


Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I had the same problem with mine. He was so verbally abusive when he was drinking. I finally had enough and told him that he had a choice, stop drinking or I was leaving him and getting a divorce. He chose to stop drinking and he's been sober for over 2 years now. It was really hard to stand up and tell him, cause I wasn't working and didn't know how I support myself and my family. But I just couldn't take it anymore. I will say that I picked a time when he was completely sober when I told him though. If you need to talk, pm me.

    Answer by Sue41 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • You can talk until your blue in the face, until he is ready to admit he has a problem there is nothing you can do. I would find a support group for yourself.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • Try to explain to him that you're not "nagging" him but that you're expressing your concerns. Have you suggested AA to him?

    Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • Well if he has a drinking problem its a problem. Ignoring it wont make it go away. Maybe you can ask for some sort of intervention with other family and friends and confront him in that manner?

    Answer by gemgem at 1:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • Write him a letter... maybe he'll read it.

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

  • You should never be afraid to talk to your spouse...if you are, there is a big problem. And, his getting mad at you for talking to him is his problem and is a sign of fault with him, not you. He's not a great man if he's an alcoholic who's own wife is afraid to talk to him. You need some counseling and he needs re-hab.

    Answer by mizkaye at 2:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009