Wedding planning help?

My SO and I FINALLY SET A DATE (after 8 yrs.) and I have soooo many many questions and it seems like this section gets the most questions and responses. Thanks ladies!

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• OK, what are some questions? I can try to help along with others.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I know I start with the church first but after that I draw blanks.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• OK, do you have a budget? Do you have your date set yet? If you have your date set you need to call your church now and find a place to have your reception if that is in your plan because they get booked way in advanced.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• well what do you want to know about wedding planning? You need a dress, and tuxes to rent... and it's up to you about how you want your bridesmaids to dress. Pick a color scheme.. and the flowers (fake ones are nice, cheaper, and last)... you have to arrange where you want it.. a church, outside, or at the reception hall itself... pick a reception hall.. pending on where you want your reception is how you make food arangments.. some have ready caterors and won't let you bring in outside ones.. so be sure to look into that. local fire halls are normally reasonable for renting, and are large enough... or try bingo halls. be sure to make drink arrangements as well.. you need a dj, or band.. or you can bring a labtop with a play list set up, and assign a relative to working it.. pick your song, cakes, decorations.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I would buy a wedding planning book ...they are a little overwhelming but cover everything. Congrats!! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Hubby and I planned our own wedding, actually he did most of it. I suggest you go and taste food at different reception halls and bakeries.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• a good place to look for some wedding decorations is orientaltrader.com or collectionsetc.com or lakeside.com... they have some good deals. a photographer is nice... but you can ask a friend to take along your digital, and snap photos to save money. you can pm is you want more info or have a question.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh and I know that wedding planners are probably the best way to go, but I just can't afford one so I have my girlfriend helping me because she planned her own wedding but I still think I should get some other advice as planning a wedding is a lot of work. And I know that she's more than willing to help me, but with both of us having and the planning takes a lot of time, it's going to be rough finding enough to get it all together by June of next year.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• A wedding planner might be a good way to go. They charge about 10 to 15 percent of your budget and can get things done and even negotiate with vendors.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Find a venue thats first. You sometimes have to reserve them in advance. For instance we got married in an old civil war era church and they only allow 4 public events a yr. So do that first. I did have a wedding planner and not alot of money. Sometimes you can find people who just like planning parties and weddings who will help you for not much money. Thats how we found ours. She was actually a friend of my mil and she did this on the side. I think I paid her less then $500. But yea you need a venue, color scheme, dress,flowers, DJ, photographer, reception area, caterer.

Answer by gemgem at 1:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009