Precentiles

I can't remember which one is it better to be closer to the 5th or 95th percentile?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 95th
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's better to be in the middle ...I don't even want to use the word "better" bc every child is different. I just can't think of a better word LOL
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It all depends on what you are talking about. If it is the child's weight, then you really don't want to be in the 5th or the 95th percentile unless the child is extremely short in stature or extremely long/tall.
    Ask your pediatrician if your child's percentiles are appropriate for your child. And remember, they are just averages, not absolutes.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Honestly, neither. I hate those charts. All they tell you is how your child compares to the rest of the children in the USA. And honestly, I think they are crap. America is getting obese and these charts keep changing thusly making it ok to be bigger. My husband was dumbfounded when he found out that our newborn was only in the 15th percentile for weight because he is only 6lbs 8oz. You have to take percentile charts with a grain of salt.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• the 95th.
    adg0114

Answer by adg0114 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2009