would you let you 10yr old daughter have a myspace

I am new here so I dont know if this has been asked but here is my problem my daughter came home the other day and asked if she could have a myspace I told her no and I also told her that even if Iwould let her that you have too be 15 to have one. she told me that 2 of her friends have a myspace she thinks I am just making it up so I called one of the parents and her daughter has one because she lied about her age. I can not do that it is not something I could do. my daughter thinks I dont trust her too make good choices and this is not true it is the rest of the world I dont trust..so I am just curious as too what other mothers think about this..

1andonly98

Asked by 1andonly98 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't think I would, but my friend's 11 yo has one. She monitors it very closely. But since I don't like the idea of my kids even playing video games, I can't imagine letting them be on the internet enough to need a myspace.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids all got one around 11 or 12. I just told them I had to have their passwords, be on their friends list etc. I found it a great thing to use for grounding and what not. Myspace doesnt allow you to have one I dont think until you are 12 so she would have to lie about her age to get one. Second you need to insure its set to private with no one over 18 allowed to contact her, have it set to private and include any pics and require people to know her last name to add her.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I'd let her have one with a few conditions: I'd have the password, I'd have to approve all pictures, I'd be with her when she's on it, disable IMs and e-mail (allowing only approved comments),and it would of course be private.
    Myspace is really just expression as long as she's not interacted with strangers and its supervised I don't see a problem.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• MySpace rules are 14. If you teach her to cheat/lie now, what are you really setting yourself up for?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Don't do it! My daughter is 13 and we tried this...it was a bad mistake. She had everyone messaging her and she had friends I would never approve of sending her messages. Its such a dangerous site. I just had my butt reamed on here for asking about a pen pal for my daughter, when honestly, the mail can be so much safer than the computer. Besides that, just about everything has to be downloaded so you risk getting so many viruses on your computer if your not careful.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Absolutely NOT!
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 1:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I finally had to cancel the myspace account and we don't get on there much to see other people we know either. I would just tell her no, and explain it's for her safety. And just an FYI, theres a my yearbook, facebook, and 321 teen chat, that you should be aware of too. I didn't even know about these. Theres one called club penguin, that is anonymous and very limited as to what you can type to others (under certain settings). The parents have to set it up. Go to miniclip.com, and you can monitor the activity. My kids like that one. If anything, I would start with that. Good luck.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 12 and does not have one, though most of her friends do. My daughter knows saying "all my friends have it" is never going to be a reason for me to say yes to anything. I don't believe she is ready for it, and I also will not teach her to lie to get around the rules. The rules are there for a reason. If you have been on MySpace and seen the stuff that people post you know that a lot of it is completely inappropriate for children. We'll revisit this issue when she's 14, and she may not get one then either. There are some safer social sites for younger kids that you can check into if you want an alternative - they weren't good for us because my daughter's friends thought they were too old or too cool for them. Good luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Both of my daughters do. They are 8 and 10. We have family all over the country and in Europe too. This was a neat way for them to stay in contact on a daily basis with their older brothers, cousins, uncles and their dad. They are also "friends" with their teachers and some classmates. We have a common sense MySpace policy...If the person is not related or you have never touched them they can't be your friend on MySpace. And they keep their myspace and photos private. They have their own emails that automatically download to the computer every morning, so I see when they get comments before they do. And of course I know their log in information.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh no no no, If she wants to be in contact with friends she can use mine. And our family can see all their pics and updates on my page so she has no need for one until she's older.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 3:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009