Have either you or your spouse gone from Active Duty to the Navy Reserves recently?

I got out of the military almost a year ago. I am now considering going into the reserves. There is a lot of misinformation going around (my recruiter isn't really sure) about Time-in-rate as far as the advancement exam. I'm looking for someone who has experience with a break in service.

I was told that my time-in-rate resets from the day I reenlist in the reserves. Meaning I can't take the E-6 exam for 3 years. Even though I was already taking the E-6 advancement exam when I got out.

HollyBoBolly

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 1:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2012 in Military

• I got out in 2008 but I did a search and found the Advancement BUPERSINST. According the the instruction your time in rate with a break would be calculated using your new elistment date, but would revert to the begining of the advancement cycle so Jan 1 or June 1.

http://pmkuniversity.com/pmkReferences/BUPERSINST1430.16EAdavancementManual.pdf

amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2012

• Amandajoy, thanks for responding. I have that instruction too, about 2 pages down from that is has a readjusted time in rate sample which contradicts everything that it said above that. I talk to a navy career counselor and they said I have 365 days before my TIR is reset for the advancement exam.
    HollyBoBolly

Comment by HollyBoBolly (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2012