No crying at shot???

My 4 month old got his shots today. He did not even wince - smiled at me actually. In the past he has screamed! I heard that not feeling the pain is a sign of autism. Anyone else experience this? I am sure that I should just be happy that he was not crying, but I am a bit worried.....what do you guys think?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 1:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies are like, he may change as he gets older though and knows what is about to happen. And your child does NOT get autism from vacs. I don't know why people keep saying this. It has NOT been proven. It's just a theory.

Anonymous

• I wouldnt worry too much at this point, my DD never cried at shots and she is not autistic, some kids cry some dont but I would not jump the gun unless you find other things that tell you autism.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• No, I don't think that shes worried that he will autism from the shot, just that he didn't react to the pain. When dd got her 2 month shots, the nurse told me that also, so I was praying for some tears, we got some, but only for like a minute. Her 4 months shots were a different story, she was hysterical for like 20 minutes, poor baby . . made me feel so bad. I wouldn't worry just yet. Had he just eaten? I want to give dd a bottle at her 6 month appt, because they say if they're eating that they don't react so badly.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Nah, my son whose 16 never cried after his first set of shots.He isnt autistic. My second son is autistic and cried for every shot.

Answer by gemgem at 1:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• 4 months is way young for autism to show. This is NOT an indication of autism. There are a lot of other factors that would be involved. NONE of which you'll be able to see at 4 months.

My mom said I hardly cried, if ever, when getting shots. I'm not autistic. It's ok.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 1:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• He had just finished a bottle 5-10 minutes prior and I did give him tylenol an hour prior
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 1:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have a degree to work with special needs children, and worked with them for at least 5 years. No need to worry about autism this early. More specific signs that are very obvious do not typically start happening until they are around toddler age. The most severe Aspbergers girl I worked with said their family started noticing things that were not typical at the age of 2. Other parents, not until 3. But in infancy, it is not like obvious disorders, such as Down Syndrome for instance.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think you got a good nurse. My youngest barely cried at most of his shots...had one particular nurse. Had another nurse give the shots one time and it was ALL over!

He's two and showing no signs of autism.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I think he's fine. I'm sure since he is older he's used to getting more bumps and bruises so a little prick doesn't hurt as much. Plus I think it makes a difference if they are hungry tired etc. If you were lucky and he just woke up from a nap and you fed him- well maybe he'd be happy. Way to go him!!! :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009