Belly Button Stump?

Ok, I honestly can't remember. When is the umbilical cord stump/belly button stump suppose to fall off? And am I suppose to clean it a special way?

With my first the pedi told me to clean it with alcohol wipes a few times a day but I wasn't given such instructions this time so I haven't been and now feel bad about it. BTW, my son is a week old.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 1:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• still clean it with alchol it will fall off faster it will take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks to fall off my sons didnt fall off till he was 18 days old
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I clean my dds with rubbing alcohol 3 time a day. she is 12 days old and it looks like it is about to come off.
    Anonymous

• my SIL babie was born 3 weeks ago and they told her to clean it just once a day with alcohole wipes and let it air dry and make sure it doesnt get wet from water it will fall off in one to two weeks.
    Now when i had my son 7 years ago they told me to clean it with alcohole wipes every diaper change apparently things have changed.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• No alcohol! Just keep it clean and dry!

How does it feel if you put alcohol on an open wound?
    Anonymous

• We were told to keep it dry and clean, but not to use alcohol. My son is 15 months now....
    Also, I think they should fall out by the time your child is two weeks old.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i was told with all 3 f my sons to clean it with achol to make it dry up faster.. with my DD who is 21 months they dont want you to do anything now.. my ped who is a very good one i might add said there isnt anything proven that it help............
    lilmysknowltal

Answer by lilmysknowltal at 7:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2009