My sister things I have broncitis(SP?) is it still ok to bf?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• broncholitis is a respirtory infection, no need to stop feeding, go to the Dr. and get some antibiotics if you have it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You should be seen by a doctor if you think you may have bronchitis. You're okay to nurse, still...but bronchitis can develop into pneumonia if not cared for properly. Better safe than sorry.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• WEll i know that. but she just saud I couldnt bf her and so I was wondering. she said she would get it if I did.
    Anonymous

• I would call her Dr. and ask them, lots of moms BF will being sick and most of the babies do not get it, but to be safe ask a Dr.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There is no need to stop breastfeeding when you get sick. If anything your breastmilk will offer some protection to the baby from the illness.

"Mothers have breastfed their babies through a variety of illnesses, from colds and infections to chronic conditions including asthma and diabetes. Your baby is exposed to any illness you have before you know you are sick. One of the beauties of human milk is that when your body makes antibodies to combat an illness, these antibodies are passed directly into your milk, giving protection and disease-fighting abilities to your baby, too." -La Leche League

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sick.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Ignore your sister. I'm sure she's just trying to be helpful but she is giving you incorrect information.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• She never breastfed and this is my first time i didnt with my other 2. She is just worried about the baby because she is sick tooand wondered if that was why if I got her sick from feeding her.
    Anonymous

• No. More than likely she just got sick from living in the same house with you or from someone else. Bronchitis isn't viral. It's an infection, so there isn't anyway for you pass that to her, even through bfing.I'm pretty sure that even cold germs are not transmitted through breast milk, but checking out that Le Leche League site is a great idea. In the meantime, keep breastfeeding. Your milk is giving her antibodies that can help her fight off her illness.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 2:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• definately keep breastfeeding, i am exclusively and have been told numerous times to maintain the breastfeeding because of the anitbodies. My son has bronchitis right now and has for over 2 weeks.
    nickygia

Answer by nickygia at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Darlin..the only way your baby would not get it is if you kept her in a sterile environment completely away from you until you are better. as long as she is breathing the same air as you, she stands a chance of getting it. Now, Your sis may be one of those who believes that the virus or bacteria will pass through BM and infect your baby-that's simply not the case. Truth is, she was probably exposed to the infection at the same time you were or from you already anyway, and the breast milk will provide her with your body's own natural antibodies which will help her fight off the infection much more quickly than you will. Her symptoms won't be as bad, also.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 4:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009