What to take for ear pain

I am breastfeeding and I think I have an ear infection. I am scared to go to the Dr because I don't know what he'll give me and he is not a bf friendly Dr so he pobably will tell me I should wean anyways. What is safe to take while breast feeding?

mombug

Asked by mombug at 1:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well...it sounds like you might want to change Doctors if you feel that way about him. Go with your gut feelings on that. But for now..if you choose not to go the doctor you could either take Ibuprofen for the pain or like I do for my son's...put rice in a sock...tie the end..and heat it up in the microwave..then rest it on your ear. It's very soothing and takes away the pain temporarily. Keep in mind though that if it's an ear infection...they don't go away by themselves and you'll eventually have to have an antibiotic for it.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It won't 'heal' an ear infection, but putting a few drops of warm sweet oil (you can buy a bottle for like 2 bucks from CVS) will help ease the pain. I've also heard of putting hydrogen peroxide in the ear, but never tried it myself. Good luck!
    SuperMomOfSeven

Answer by SuperMomOfSeven at 1:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009