Watching TV

Does anyone watch TV while your LO is playing or eating? I notice I do this quite a bit, however, my 4-month-old son rarely ever watches the TV. Is it okay to have it in the background, or should I turn it off? I just want to make sure it's not hurting him at all. It's usually just the news that I'm watching. He'll look at it for a second and then turn his attention back to the toys.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shoot...ours is on all day long, low volume, more for background noise than anything. I have shows on more appropriate for the boys most of the day (news during nap times lol)...but I'd say they MIGHT watch a total of 1 1/2 hours the whole day....

It's fine to have it on.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son freaks if our TV isn't on! I'm sure it's just for the need of back ground noise. He can't sit still to watch it... he just polls out his toys and climbs on things.... but heaven help us if the TV is off!
    Anonymous

• Mine has always been on all the time, and even if I left it turned to cartoons all day, my kids would still only watch MAYBE 2 hours the entire time. They are always running, playing, doing other stuff, if something on TV catches their eye, they'll stop and watch but then they go right back to what they were doing. I would only be concerned if he's actually sitting there, staring at it for hours on end.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i have mine on most of the time and i do catch my 5 month old staring at it and i feel bad because i wasnt sure if it was bad for him, but the flashing images and noises keep him quiet and happy so i think its ok
    nickygia

Answer by nickygia at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i dont think the tv being on is going to hurt him
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009