When do you move a child from a toddler bed?

We're moving and I was wondering how long do you keep a child in a toddler bed? Is it better to just get a twin and get the rails or should I just get a toddler bed and wait for her to grow out of it.

baboluchi56

Asked by baboluchi56 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We moved our daughter to a twin just before her 4th birthday. It really depends on the child.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 1:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• my daughter will be 3 in 2 weeks and she sleeps in a twin loft bed with a slide
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 1:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• There is no age and toddler beds are optional.
    Since you are asking this in the preschool section, I'd say get your preschooler a bed and a removeable bed rail.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We plan to move our daughter from her toddler bed to a twin bed the spring or summer before she starts Kindergarten.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• We went from crib to single bed. Toddler beds aren't even necessary, just another expense. But I do know some parents prefer them and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Toddler beds have weight limits, so watch that.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids never had a toddler bed. It didn't seem necessary to me.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Im buying my dd a twin bed for her 4th bday which is in 3 weeks. She is in a toddler bed now. I think it just depends on the child, their size, space you have in the home etc.

Answer by gemgem at 2:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daugther is 3 and she has a full size bed with both rails....I wont spen money in toddler beds but thats just me.She help me decorate her new big girl room and she was very exited and I sleept with her for the first week and so on until she got the idea thats her room (because we co-sleep) She actually get me out of her room .
    YummyMommy2005

Answer by YummyMommy2005 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter just recently turned four and we just bought a twin bed for her. She has been in a toddler bed since she was 18 months when she decided to jump out of her crib! lol We didn't want to (at that age) put her straight into a twin bed...and she has LOVED her toddler bed! It was so low to the ground she could climb in and out when she wanted (which was especially useful when she was potty training and had to get out of bed at night by herself to go potty). But different things work for different people...whatever you think would work best for you is fine! =)
    RCook

Answer by RCook at 3:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My oldest was 3 and now my 3 year old sleeps on the top bunk. He knows how to climb up and get down. He does not do it without me in there though.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2009