How do doctors get a urine sample from a baby that isn't ppotty trained?

My son has to go to the hospital Wednesday to have blood work done, an xray of his head, and they have to take a urine sample. How in the world do you get a urine sample from a child that is not potty trained? He is 14 months old.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They have a special cup thing to put in the diaper.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• First, they will (or at least SHOULD) try the baggie method --- they have a plastic bag with sticky tape on it that they can just tape around his little man parts to collect the urine.

If that fails --- or if they just choose to skip that option... it's a catheter.

I wouldn't let them do it, personally.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Okay. Thanks! lol. This is my 1st child and I've never even thought about it before.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• THEY will not be putting on the bag.
    We do this quiet often at the lab I work at. We give the parents the bag (I usually give 2 or 3 of them) and a cup. Like mentioned above, the bag has an adhesive on it (like a sticker). You will put it on him (make sure it is secure all the way around!) and wait it out. Check every 30 - 45 mins for a sample. When the sample is obtained, you will transfer it from the bag to the cup.
    Make sure the cup is labeled with: His first and last name. His date of birth. The date and time of collection.
    Put the cup in the refrigerator immediately (in our lab, a urine sample can only be at room temp. for 1 hour before we refuse to accept it.) and take back to the lab ASAP.

Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions about it feel free to message me :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My daughter goes to st. Vinsent childern's hospital and they have always used a catheter for her her.
    kenziesmom2006

Answer by kenziesmom2006 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They use a plastic pee bag that attached and they collect urine that way.

Answer by gemgem at 2:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• yep, pee bag that sticks on their skin.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Yes it's a little pee bag thing that cups around the private area and they just wait for him/her to pee! They had to do that to my son when he as sick and they needed a urin sample. It don't hurt the baby at all! :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Wow yea i'd imagine they are the ones that worry about it. Just make sure hes as comfortable as they can possibly make him.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 10:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• When my boy needed to have a urine sample they got it by putting a cathiter in his man parts and let it come out that way.
    tensign

Answer by tensign at 7:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009