What can I do about my anxiety w/out health insurance?

I have been having 5 or 6 panic attacks a week lately, it just keeps getting worse. W/out insurance though, I have no idea what to do about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Health

• I used to have panic attacks. There is usually something that triggers them, and in my case, it was connected to some things that happened to me a long time ago. You know that they are primarily mental, so one thing you can do when you feel one coming on is to start reassuring yourself that nothing is going to happen to you. Tell yourself that you are safe, calm and at peace. Replace every anxious thought that you have with a positive one. If you will do that consistently, they will probably go away. The mind is truly a powerful thing. And the good news is that we can control what we think. Just because a thought pops in there doesn't mean you can't throw the sucker out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Smoke weed
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Some mental health clinics will allow you to pay on a sliding scale based on your income.

As for things you can do. Chamomile tea is very soothing for your nerves.

Breathing exercises help tremendously. I have general anxiety disorder and I use breathing to manage it instead of medication. My favorite is to slowly breathe in fully. Hold it for 4 seconds. Then slowly breathe out. Keep on doing it till you're calm.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 1:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You can call social services and ask them for a referral to a mental health clinic. Most states have them or have a list of clinics that work on a sliding scale. From there they will see you, diagnose you and treat you,.

Answer by gemgem at 1:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• marajuana works wonders for your anxiety, check it out. its better than the pharmacuticals youll get.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• OP here. My SO smokes pot, and I used to when I was younger. I tried it recently because I was thinking the same thing, but it only made it a lot worse. I started freaking out like crazy. I haven't smoked it in years but when I did I did it all the time, so I don't really understand why I had that reaction. Thank you though ladies.
    Anonymous