Why does every one ( ok a lot ) label Obama black?

Obama was born of a caucasion mother and a father of african race. So why is it that he is labeled a black man? Why is it that you here a lot of America is inaugerating the first african american president ever? Obama is an American just like me. Labeling someone only means seperation of race, isn't that what we strive to not have seperation of race? I'm quite ashamed at the way this is being handled. Yes I voted for Obama, he is the best candidate by far, no matter what challenges lie ahead I believe he will prosper and our country will get back on track! So again can anyone explain the label of the First Black President when he is half white?

13mnthsapart

Asked by 13mnthsapart at 1:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental answers, they're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

> The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 6:49 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• DRAMA! Give the black man his moment.....He's earned it! I'm part Indian and part French....but I'm Caucasian. Being half white doesn't make him white...he is who he is and HE says he's black.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well if you look black your are according to whomever made that up... My children are black,irish and native american. but they are considered black by the color of their skin.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sick of this question. Seriously, how obtuse can you be? The man LOOKS black...the world sees him as BLACK...the world treats him as BLACK. Don't believe me? Let's say he's not the PE, but a common street thug. And let's say he mugs you and you have to describe him to the police. Now, what are you going to tell them? Are you going to say 'this bi-racial man with a caucasian mother tried to mug me!'? HELL. NO. You are going to say 'this BLACK man tried to mug me!'. Still don't believe he's our first black president? Look at his picture...now look at the previous 43 presidents' pics...get it now?
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 1:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• How many times will this question be asked? He LOOKS Black. if it were the 60's he would have to sit at the back of the bus and use the colored drinking fountain. No one would care his momma was white if they were lynching him.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• they label him for two reasons
    1. The judge off skin color not his personal history
    2. he presents himself as black.

Answer by gemgem at 1:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!clapping

Anonymous

• Im biracially mixed with white and black and I am veiwed by the public as an ethnicity because although I have white in my genetics clearly when the two mix the black gene is dominant and that is the first veiw of the public. I could be labeled high yellow or red bone but people wouldnt just say hey she is a white girl right of the bat. So with that note im proud to say my president is a reflection of me and im proud to call him black.
    mommymomo07

Answer by mommymomo07 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• hmmmmmmmm look at him
    married-in-06

Answer by married-in-06 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• THIS AGAIN??? He looks black, not white, so if you were describing him as a missing peron, you would ask the searchers to look for a black man, not a "bi-racial" man! He is bi-racial, true, but in this day and age he is and will be considered a black man. Maybe someday this will change, but we all live in the here and now, and that is the way it is.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009