My husband is up for a child support review for his 6yr old son. They have requested my income info. Could I be held responsible for his payments or could they go up b/c of my income?

Mrs.D3

Asked by Mrs.D3 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• No. They sometimes dont even count your income but since they are asking they want to judge what the childs lifestyle would be if he lived with his dad. Thats all. You will never have to m ake payments for him. He isnt your child.

Answer by gemgem at 1:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• your income shouldn't matter.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• In some states it does. It depends on the state.

Answer by gemgem at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They may also want it to make sure any increase she gets doesn't include your income. They'd subtract your income from the amount on tax returns and any other documents the two of you have to provide to make sure the money she gets is based on his income.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You can't be held responsible for his child support. As others have said, it's just a formality, to make sure they get an accurate picture of his income and lifestyle, etc. For example, if you guys happen to live in a very nice house, but your income is considerably larger than his, she may know about the house but not the income, so she's asking for the increase thinking he can afford it if he can afford the nice house. By getting your income info, they can see that you are the reason for the nice house. Not saying that's the case in your situation, but just an example.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You wont be held resp for making the payments.... it wont come out of ure check! But in my state they count both!!!! Im in the same situation..... You guys are married so!!!! I know in florida and texas...it matters. Just think a man could go get a crazy usueless job,,,just to keep from paying a decent amount of child support. But he could be married to a doctor and living the high life. If he makes more...He should pay U more! When ur married..... its both Ure income. May NOT seem fair but, Life isnt fair!!!!! And the child deseves to be supported by both parents...... I have a friend who is married and they are still taking child support out of his check to give to her...and their married!! Its her right to stop it or not being married. They have seperate bank accounts. They like it that way cuz, he pays 2 other women support too....So they dont want it to go up!
    Anonymous

• Depends what state u live in. You guys being married, I dont know. I had rec state aid years ago and, I have 2 kids. One of the dads had to pay back it all for both kids. EVen though its NOT his child. So you never know. They are asking to see how he lives....In my state we had a review and they wanted his income and his wifes. They didnt ask 4 mine! weird
    Anonymous

• Anon @ 3:22 - no, FL does not count a spouse's income. I not only get child support in FL, but when I was married, my ex paid child support in FL, and my income was NEVER involved. I'm not sure exactly what it is you're thinking of, but I can assure you that FL does not use a spouse's income. Only the parent's income.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My case is a interstate case> this is to tropicalmam. I live in florida, he lives in texas. Maybe they go by his state. idk..... guess i thought I did. Sorry
    Anonymous

• Depends On The State
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 8:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2009