I can't get my 22 month old daughter to sleep through the night..

I sing her songs read her books, and even try to put her to sleep by 10:30 to see if she would sleep the whole night, but nothing!... I can't put her to sleep around 8 or 9 the way I would like because she'll be up by 12a.m and wont go back to sleep until 2,3 or even 4 in the morning...HELP!!!!!

Celina103184

Asked by Celina103184 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she have naps during the day?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• yes she does actually she takes her naps around 1 in the afternoon.. and wake about 1 hour later.
    Celina103184

Answer by Celina103184 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• see if you can cut that nap out, my son could not have naps during the day from age 15 months on because he would not sleep at night if he had one, does your child wake up hungry or wet, or does she just wake up to play?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• She is almost two at that age they can for sure make it through the night so when she wakes up you need to put her back in bed, she may get upset the first few times but when she realizes it's for real I promise you EVERYONE will be much happier getting a good nights sleep. Give her a sippy cup with water put it by her bed, she is still in diapers I assume. So there are no good excuses for her lol. the most important thing you can do is be consistant and follow through.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Well i do put her right into bed after her waking up, but she'll wake up to just talk and want to play and just not fall asleep... but what should i do if i dont put her to nap... she'll wanna be very active and im scared shell fall asleep on her own...
    Celina103184

Answer by Celina103184 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• if she is waking up to talk or play' dont pay her any attention, she will get bored and go back to sleep....if she sleep for an hour, missing that nap should not affect her that much, she might get fussy but if she is tired at night and falls asleep on her own, that is what you want, if it is too early to go to bed keep her busy until bed time, once you get her on a regular schedule for sleep it will be easier, at that age mine went to bed between 8-9 and slepy until around 7, which is a good time to wake up for them but not for use sometimes lol
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Sounds like she might be overtired. I would not take away her nap that would probably make it worse. I would also start moving the bedtime earlier. She might wake up for a while in the middle of the night, but right now I think she is waking because she is not getting enough sleep. When my son is overtired he will foresure wake during the night. We have had a lot of sleep trouble with my son and now he is 25 months and it is soooo much better. I highly recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It has completely changed the way we were doing naps and bedtime and we all feel so much more rested and happier. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I was also going to say to put her to bed earlier. The later my son goes to sleeep, the more restless and early he will will up in the morning.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009