• In the Spotlight:

Pediasure...When to give it and why?

When are they old enough for the pediasure drink. And it is a daily drink, or only if they are sick. I am talking about the pediasure drink , not pedialite.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was on a "strict" pediasure diet.... She had to have it since she was 1 year of age until she was almost 2 1/2 years old because of her medical problems, and she wouldn't eat a regualar diet... My daughter was on 3 cans a day just so she could get her recommended calories... She was very malnourised.. and it helped a lot! I think that you can start giving them pediasure as soon as they are 1 year old. But I would be careful with it, because my daughter became very dependent on it... and didn't want anything besides her pediasure... Use it only in moderation... Or just ask your doctor on what they think is best for your child!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Just as ali says - use it only in moderation and you should really ask your doctor before hand.

Think of it this way... if your child is learning to eat real foods and you fill him up on pediasure - will he be hungry when it is meal time? No. If he is a picky eater and you fill him up on pediasure "to be sure he gets enough vitamins" - will he be willing to eat those yucky foods at meal time? No.

If you are concerned about your baby getting enough vitamins or calories, talk to your doctor. Your baby may be fine. Your baby may benefit from a multi-vitamin. But talk to your doctor first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You should only use pediasure when directed to do so by a doctor. It's usually used for kids who have a special need for the additional calories and are unable to eat a regular diet.
    Anonymous