Homemade baby food

I need to know whats ok to use to make my 6month olds baby food.. right now I only make him bananas because thats all I know how to.. lol.. we just currently moved to maui and it is expensive to buy his formula and baby food. please help. lol

cheermickey

Asked by cheermickey at 2:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I made my kids anything I would eat...I just didnt put seasoning and spices in it. They loved it and I never had any problems..anything that can be put into a blender I made into baby food!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Just buy fresh organic produce, fresh veggies and fruits...get a puree machine and go to town!!!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• when is it ok for them to eat meats? my son is just a week away from being 6 months.
    cheermickey

Answer by cheermickey at 2:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• well, i always figured they put turkey and stuff in the baby food. So, I never saw a problem with putting meat in the blender with the rest of the meal and doing it that way. I just always made sure no seasonings or spices cuz they could upset the stomach. I'm sure your son will do fine with meats. It should not upset his belly at all. Just make sure on the seasonings and such. I did this will all of my children and never had a problem.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 2:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Apples are really easy!
    6 apples- I use 3 granny smith and 3 golden delicious
    Peel, cut into chunks... add 2 tablespoons water, cover pop into microwave for 5 mins, rest for 5 mins and cook another 2-5 mins until they are soft. Then put them into a food processor or blender until they are the way you want them. Pour into ice cube tray and freeze!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have also used frozen veges- just make sure nothing else is added to them.
    Cook until for tender (I always use the microwave because it's how my baby food book tell me how to do it)
    Then puree them and pop them into the freezer in the ice cube tray. I've done peaches, peas and greenbeans from frozen. (peas didn't work out so well for me)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Here are a couple websites to try.

http://www.mo-river.net/Health/home_made_baby_foods.htm http://www.cuisinart.com/baby/recipes/index.php

I've make carrots, peas, green beans, peaches, pears, apricots, chicken, beef, & combo meals.  Fresh or frozen is about the same.  However I freeze in the glass baby food jars instead of anything plastic.  Just pop a jar in the fridge the day before and it should be ready & use warm water to heat instead of microwave to minimize hot spots.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My pedi told me about 8 months on the meats.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2009