How does gender selection work?

I am the mother of two wonderfull little girls, however my husband and I really want a little boy. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried gender selection, if it really works, and how I should go about it. Granted I wont be disappointed if I get another pink miracle, but it would be nice to get that precious little boy!! Please help

Miranda926

Asked by Miranda926 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• All babies start off as females. By 6 weeks along that is when they start defining their sex. I am guessing gender selection as in making a boy would adding the genetic property to start the process of becoming a boy. I probably wouldnt opt for any kind of gender selection myself though.
    Anonymous

• Why would you even consider this it's like your are giving permmision for your doctor to play God and what if they get it wrong and you could have a child with both genitalia. I wouldn't do it but to each his own right?
    Anonymous

• If you just want to up your chances of conceiving a boy the natural way there are certain times during your cycle to TTC. I believe for a boy it is closer to ovulation (b/c the male sperm are faster and can get to the egg first), and for a girl it is a few days before ovulation (b/c even though the female sperm are slower they live longer than male sperm and by the time the egg actually releases a lot of the male sperm will be dead already therefore getting rid of a lot of the competition!).
    Ellena

Answer by Ellena at 3:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• If you want to do gender selection the medical way it's not really as big of a deal as some of the responders are trying to make it out to be (well, morally anyway - it is kind of a crappy process for the woman going through it). All they need is a semen sample from your DH. They seperate the male and female sperm (as best they can - I don't believe it is 100%, but pretty darn close). Then they insert the sperm of the desired gender into you via IUI. The crappy part for you is that I believe you have to have injections, etc... (unless you opt for a natural cycle, which has a lot less of a success rate). I think it is fairly expensive.
    Ellena

Answer by Ellena at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• For women (like me) who have IF problems and need more extensive treatments (I require IVF to become pregnant) gender selection is a much bigger deal, and more of a moral dilema. We would never do gender selection via IVF b/c they have to pierce the embryos to test them to see which are male and female to choose which to transfer back. My doctor said that he prefers not to do that because it can actually damage the embryos.
    Ellena

• Sorry I had to post so many times, my answer was too long to post all at once so I split it up! Good luck!
    Ellena

Answer by Ellena at 3:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• When I did ICSI to conceive my twin boys, the embryologist selected the fastest, strongest swimmers to inject into the eggs. Sure, it's high tech, and I didn't try for gender selection...I just wanted a healthy child...but it seemed to work! If I ever go that route again, I'm going to specifically ask the embryologist to pick the slower swimmers, because I'd love to have a girl.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 3:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• They separate the male/female sperm. One is heavier than the other. To the God comment, lots of medical practices could fall under the old playing God card. Why should we bother curing lukemia if God meant for those children to be sick.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I was more looking for natural methods, however I had no idea you could medically choose, thats pretty cool!! To the God comment I have no doubts that God gets to choose, however if I could boost my chances at getting a boy, why not?
    Miranda926

Answer by Miranda926 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• i think they had a way on this site...www.justmommies.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2009