How do I get my son to go to sleep by himself?

My son is 2 and I used to hold him until he fell asleep. Now I try to get him to lay in his bed while I sit beside him (he has a toddler bed). He never wants to go to sleep like that and I end up laying on the floor with him until he falls asleep--I sometimes fall asleep too, and then I put him in his bed. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, 3-4 times a week, he comes straight to my room and wants to get in bed with me. Ive tried to take him back to his bed, but its the same thing over again. So I usually just let him climb up in bed with me for sake of me getting some sleep...Any suggestions?

ariel_n

Asked by ariel_n at 2:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use to let my daughter sleep with me all the time to. I finally got her broken of it. I normally put her in her bed, covered her up and walked out of the room. But when she learned to open doors I put one of those child safety door knobs on her side so she couldn't get out. Your son is going to have to learn to comfort himself. His always had you to do that but he needs to find something. I know its hard to listen to them cry, trust me I went through it. But its never going to stop unless you stop it. Stop going to him in the middle of the night, stop letting him get in bed with you. If he just wont be quite then go in but dont pick him up thats where you lose the battle. Just sit down on the floor next to him and tell him it will be okay.  Then walk out when his calm

Jaxons_mommy

Answer by Jaxons_mommy at 3:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I went through the same thing with my now 20 month old daughter, however even when she was in bed with us she would wake up and ask for juice or her nuk every half hour or so. I wasn't getting any sleep so I decided to put the crib wall back on her bed. Her father and I read three to four books every night, then we each lay down with her on the floor for a few minutes then we put her in bed and leave the room. The first night she cried for half an hour but we didn't give in, and she's smart so there wasn't too much of a fight after that. If you have a crib wall or a gate use it and put him in bed awake. He'll cry to get your attention but eventually he'll tire himself out and go to sleep. My daughter still wakes up after about five hours, but from what I hear that's somewhat normal, let him cry it out again, they need to learn how to self soothe.
    nessparker

Answer by nessparker at 8:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2009