sex ed/ pro life.....

I teach in a K-8 chater school in the city,the man in charge of the school is anti sex ed despite the fact that about every 2-3 years we have an eigth grader leaving us pregnant! The consuler cannot teach them even when they specifically ask about it. I am sure she secretly breaks that rule but anyways.... many of them have abortions. As a teacher I know that public schools are mandated to teach certain content in order to receive money. with the prolife movement (current popular ??) would you support federal guidelines on sex ed (I cannot help but automatically connect Palin, anti sex ed stance with a daughter who has to wait to finish high school because of unintended pregnancy) .... So the govenment mandates what we should teach each grade in math, health, etc anyways, why dont they mandate public schools when and how to teach sex ed.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 2:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I just wonder how many times Bristol Palin douched with Coca Cola, or jumped up and down after sex or any number of other urban myths to prevent pregnancy because she wasn't taught how to use responsible and effective birth control. In an ideal world, parents would teach children the accurate facts about human reproduction, but obviously this isn't happening for everyone. So yes, they ought to at least get the TRUE basics in school. More complete education other than "Just don't do it". Absinence has a 2,000 year history of NOT working, It's time to try something new.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• A second question: I would like schools (public) to have to provide some sort of preventative measure (probabaly condoms, spermiside because they best protect against STD's too but condoms alone are only about 85% effective.) If you are going to teach them how it happens, help them protect themselves... I would like it to be confidential but that would be difficult to pass.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• As a parent I am not comfortable with a school teaching my kids anything about sex ed. I think thats something parents should do at home because it is a very personal decision and each family has different values. I am a christian and do believe in giving my children condoms and birth control, however I know other moms might not agree. I wouldnt want their rights impeded on. Instead of teaching the kids sex ed why not offer a program for parents to learn how to discuss it with their kids or offer work shops for parents and kids to attend together. As for Palin I have no problem with her. My dd got pregnant even though I put her on the pill and was 16. Kids dont always follow our advice no matter how much we try.

Answer by gemgem at 2:46 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I don't feel that it is the government's job to provide my children with sexual education and contraceptives. Too many people already rely on the school systems to "teach" their children everything. Parents need to step up and raise their own!

And your connection with Palin makes me laugh. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe there are a LOT of girls having gone through sex ed that have wound up pregnant anyhow!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• BECAUSE IT IS NOT THE JOB OF THE SCHOOL TO TEACH MY 4 CHILDREN SEX ED!!! Stop thinking it is the job of the school to teach this...it is ONLY the parents. It is your job to teach math, reading, s.s. and science. the end nothing more nothing less.
    Anonymous

• I believe that sex is something for the PARENTS to be discussing with their children, not the schools. I believe the school's main responsibility is to teach Reading, Writing, Math, Economics, and Science (plus art, music, and gym). I feel the school system is failing at teaching even the basics. Why should I trust them to teach about sex?
    Fuette

Answer by Fuette at 2:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It scares me you are a teacher but cannot spell simple words or write any better than my 1st grader. I think your school has more issues than sex ed. They need teachers who are intelligent as well.
    Anonymous

• I was confidant in my abilities while raising my kids that whatever the school was going to teach, I was way ahead of them, and teaching them more moral ways, rather than just the ABC's of sex. And apparently I was successful. I think sex should be taught from a scientific point, as it is a human body function. But the morality of it needs to be with the family.
    The Palin kid....why can't she finish high school, just because she's pregnant? What does one have to do with the other? You can't do bookwork when you have a big belly? What am I missing here?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Everyone is saying that it is the job of the parent(s) and I agree but how many children are going uneducated b/c they are uncomfortable initiating that line of communication. There are many parents who have a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy of their own. We were taught Sex Ed and as long as it is done in a tasteful manner and they do not include abortion in their teachings, as it is a controversial enough topic without adding the schools, I am okay with the schools teaching my children the same as I will. I'd rather have my child have a condom in his pocket courtesy of the school than to get a knock on my door from an angry parent saying that my son has gotten her daughter pregnant b/c he was too embarrassed to talk to me about condoms and one of his buddies taught him the "pull out" method. Look at how many women on this site ask how possible it is to get preggo using that method. The cycle needs to stop somewhere.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

you didn't even answer the question so what her spelling is that great what ever instead of bashing answer the question and if you cant answer the question then don't stop at it and leave bashing messages it just counter productive.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009