how can i get 5 month old out of my arms!!?

I am having problems getting my 5 month old to sleep longer than 40 minutes in his crib at nap time. When in my arms he will sleep for hours and then be happy. In most books i read it states he is supposed to have 3 naps between 1-2 hours each a day which he doesn't get if i put him in his crib at every nap. Should i just keep holding him to ensure he gets the right amount of sleep or put him in his crib and hope he will eventually change? he's not sleeping properly at night as a result of not sleeping well during the day, vicious cycle! please help!!

nickygia

Asked by nickygia at 3:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It would be best for you to try to work with him to get him sleeping in his bed! If you keep holding him he will always want you to hold him when he is older as well! I highly believe in routines with little ones! That is how i got my babies use to sleeping in there beds.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I have tried but given up, he will go red in the face crying so much and like i said he will only sleep 30-40 mins in his crib and by the evening he hasn't slept enough so is incredibly fussy and crabby. I will try to get him to sleep more in his bed, its just so hard!!!
    nickygia

Answer by nickygia at 3:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Get a sling. He's where he wants to be and your hands are free.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• swings work great keep trying.. do you hold him alot dring the day? if you do try not to do it so much.. do it little by little
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• he's too smart for me..i do put him in a bouncer & swing but he only lasts 20 mins or so & then cries to be held..
    nickygia

Answer by nickygia at 6:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Break the sleep dependency cycle now before you're carrying a kindergartner on your hip at naptime.... :o)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• ditto to halfpint.

how do you get him out of your arms? just put him down. he'll learn to sleep on his own.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i put him down but then he screams and screams then he chokes almost from crying so much...im trying to do the no cry method but its not really working so far...
    nickygia

Answer by nickygia at 9:12 AM on Jan. 20, 2009