• In the Spotlight:

At what age do you start letting your tweens cook?

My son just turned 12, I let him cook pizza in the oven. But the idea of boiling water for the Ramen noodles he wants makes me nervous. Am I just paranoid, do you let your tween cook?

danni33

Asked by danni33 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • NO they make a mess. They can make sandwiches, get chips, something to drink, heat left overs or frozen microwave food. Cooking, nope.

Answer by gemgem at 3:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son started using the stove with me or DH home at about 11, but if he is home alone he is still only allowed to use the microwave and he is almost 16! We have an electric stove, but I still just don't trust him with the possibility of fire although a few weeks ago I started a pan of oil on fire and he was in the kitchen with me and handled it better than I did. It really depends on your comfort level, and also I suggest going over scenarios with him, I asked ds when he was about 13 what if the microwave started on fire and he said he would try to put it out and I wanted him to say he would call 911 and get out of the house.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My son is 10 (will be 11 in March) and just recently started helping me out in the kitchen every evening making dinner. Before, I allowed him use of the microwave and popping pizzas in the oven, but he has really started showing an interest in cooking so by helping me and allowing me to show him more and more each day, I am confident that in no time he will be able to use the stove unassisted. Don't get me wrong, it will be a long time before I trust him to use the stove when I am not home, mainly because of the risk of fire, but I know that the more I can teach him in the kitchen now will increase my confidence for when that day arrives.
    Jen528

Answer by Jen528 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids have been helping me make dinner every night since they were old enough to walk and be steady. When they were young it was something simple like taking nuggets out of the bag and putting it on a baking sheet. My 9 ( almost 10) year old makes amazing home made stuffing that is his own recipe. Of course they dont cook on there own ever. But with me or hubby is a- ok in my book.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I am teaching both my girls to cook but they are not allowed to use the stove without adult supervision.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I start teaching them at 7. My 10 year old cooks all sorts of things. He's making pizza for dinner tonight(he LOVES to cook!). He made the dough, let it rise, put the sauce on, cooked the sausage, etc. He's been boiling water forever so to me that really doesn't soundlike a big deal. started cooking at that age too.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I started cooking in Elementary School .My Mom bought my sister and I a cookbook for kids.Maybe you could buy one for your child and cook together!
    southpawshelia

Answer by southpawshelia at 8:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• My kids started helping to cook at about 3 -- even though at age their "help" caused extra work! Now at 9, I trust my daughter to use the oven with minimal supervision. She can use the gas stove with more supervision. She likes cooking more than I do, so she's a big help! :-) My 7 old son is only allowed to make toast in the toaster, and mac-n-cheese in the microwave.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 8:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Hmm,my youngest,now 12,has been cooking(not completely on her own,i ain't that crazy!) since she was 5...her daddy is a chef,so their fav thing to do is:you guessed it: COOK! She now does allll the breads we consume,most of the desserts,and workin' on about...3/4 of the side dishes,if not the main course! I love havin' her in the kitchen,cooking! (Means less I have to do,lol!)
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 10:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• It's only noodles, let him cook! My grandmother tought me to make omletts at 8. As long as they can see and reach over the stove safely, and aren't clumbsy (bumping into things, spilling things all the time) then kids are very capable of cooking. Think of it this way, he isn't "Just 12" he is " 6 years away from being an ADULT!!" You only have six years left to teach him everything he needs to know to be an adult and take care of himself. Can he work a washer and dryer? A vaccum cleaner?
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 11:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2009