making $25 last

I only have $25 to spend for grocery this week. What should I buy to feed myself and my 9 year old daughter? What are the foods that I can make last all week? I have little stuff like milk, butter, and eggs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Rice. $2.oo
    A family pack of chicken. $7.oo
    A bag of Potatoes. $5.oo

mashed potatoes and baked chicken
    Chicken stir fry
    Fried chicken and home made french fries
    Grilled Chicken and baked potatoes.

There is 4 meals right there for approx. $14.oo

Sorry i can't think right now of more.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Mac N Cheese, Hot dogs, Sandwich meat, hamburger if you can, and also try calling some churches and shelters. Some of them have food pantries that can help.

Answer by gemgem at 3:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Oh also ramen noodles, cup of noodles, spaghetti.

Answer by gemgem at 3:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• hot dogs, mac and cheese, you could buy ground turkey instead of ground beef (its healthier and cheaper) you can buy the big pack, and make a couple diff. meals out of it!
    Anonymous

• A loaf of bread, cheese, a head of lettuce, a package of fresh carrots. whatever fresh fruit is cheapest or canned fruit, frozen OJ. whatever meat is cheapest. Some other vegetables- whichever are cheapest- fresh, canned, or frozen. This provide fresh fruit and vegetables, more vegetables to make the 5-9 servings a day, protein, vitamin C and sandwiches. I'd say a jar of PB and think they are supposed to be OK bought at the grocery store, but not sure.

Answer by Bmat at 3:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• pasta is a good you can have it at least two nights. Also hamburger you can do a hambergers a night then make some meatloaf and have a few meals with it. Roast is expensive but it last us a few meal. When we have limited grocery in the house i make meals i know we will have left overs with then i have them. maybe not the next night but the following night and in a different form. Example. meatloaf and parsley potatoes one night. then open meatloaf sandwiches a few nights later with fries.
    hth
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• You've received some really great suggestions, but maybe you can go to a food bank also so you don't feel so strapped. The pasta one is great, when I used to be broke sometimes, I would buy a jar or two of pasta sauce and a couple 88 cent boxes of pasta. I got tired of it, but hey I was fed and it wasn't as unhealthy as Ramen noodles (which believe me, I've had my share of those . . lol . . . they're just so cheap and tasty . . mmm beef)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• I live on 25-50 dollars per week in groceries. you could buy a bag of chicken breast (7-10 dollars) some carrots, potatoes and chicken bullion. You could use this to make chicken soup, chicken pot pie, and chicken and american fries.

Good luck.
    TLJC68

Answer by TLJC68 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Please don't resort to hot dogs, mac & cheese, and ramen unless you really love those things. You do not have to eat unhealthy foods to eat cheaply. If it were me, I would buy a bag of potatoes (red skin gold potatoes are $2.79 here right now for a bag), carrots, celery, onion, a bag of frozen veggies, and the biggest roasting chicken I could afford with the rest. I would roast the chicken with some of the potatoes for one dinner. I would remove the chicken from the bones, and make soup with the carcass, plus some of the celery, onion, and carrot. You have eggs, so if you have flour you can make noodles or dumplings. That's a couple meals at least. Some of the broth, plus some of the chicken can go to pot pie, and the rest of the meat and veggies can go into a simple stir fry.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Another option would be to buy a pork loin roast. You can cut it into a smaller roast, chops, and strips to use for stir-fry or salad or sandwiches. You can use leftovers for tacos or sandwiches too.

Also, you can make breakfast for dinner with what you already have as well...pancakes, eggs, etc.

Just about any meat can be turned into a big pot of soup, which with a few veggies can be served a few times, and leftovers turned into pot pie.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2009