Help! My 2 yr old fights sleep and cries EVERY night!

I have never been a cry-it-out mom but it doesn't seem to matter because my 2 yr old cries even though he's in my bed! We also have a 5 mo old. Both fall asleep in bed with me. My 2 yr old doesn't want anyone else to put him to bed but mommy. He has a total melt down if my husband tries to put him to bed. I don't know what to do at this point. We have our bath, brush teeth, read books, sing lullabies and then scream and cry until he falls asleep. He wakes up my 5 month old, he gets off the bed, he's completely exhausted but refuses to go to sleep. I know this must be my fault but i will never be a let him cry it out mom. What do I do???

dukemommy

Asked by dukemommy at 10:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is completely exhausted, have you tried putting him down earlier? I really don't know, since with our oldest, when he was that age we would read books in the living room and then DH would take him off to bed and put him down.
    How long has this been going on?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2012

• If he's waking up the 5 month old, something needs to change. Have you tried putting him in his own room? Maybe he's just ready. Apparently he's crying it out anyway, why not ignore it and see if he's just doing it for attention?

Answer by missanc at 11:09 AM on Feb. 24, 2012

• re-evaluate nap time. maybe he is napping too much, maybe not enough. move bedtime - start your routine earlier and get him to bed half an hour earlier. put him in his own room.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2012

• He has fought sleep from the day he was born. When he was a very small he only slept when he was nursing and I was extremely sleep deprived. He has asked to get in his bed, which I have put him in, and then he wants me to get in with him, which I have done. It lasts for about 15 minutes and then he's crying again. Is there such a thing as a child who just hates to sleep??? My 5 mo old DD has no sleep problems, they are complete opposites.
    dukemommy

Comment by dukemommy (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2012

• co-sleep

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2012